March 28, 2024, 10:30:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what is a good chemical engineering university?  (Read 12072 times)

henryin

what is a good chemical engineering university?
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:47:49 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am looking for a good chemical engineering school for transfer (I am now in a 2-year community college in CA) I am planning to apply for transfer in 06-07. Can anyone tell me what university would be a good choice?
Besides, does anyone know any public standized test of chemistry that I might take? Because my GPA is not very well (3.57) and I cannot even get one A in my chemistry classes. :'(
Thank you very much!

Oldtimer

Re:what is a good chemical engineering university?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:20:07 PM »
Hello;

California should have plenty of good Chemical engineering Schools. I always wanted to go to Purdue.

Go visit whatever choice of University you make first to meet the instructors to get to know them. Ask the students on Campus about them even. They all have people that give tours of the different schools within each campus that are proficient in the subject. They can let you meet alot of other people firsthand by introduction.

If the school doesn't feel well that day, it won't get any better in four + years.

Just a thought.

Oldtimer

Another thing
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
It could be the source of the material you have to study that is not working for you too. I had Hein & Best in my first year of College then Ternay, I was much more comfortable with Ternay - even though it was it was advanced level coursework. The lab was not restricted to easier problems but instead went to the most difficult of conceptual issues and applications. That made the tests easier to pass.

Then a few years ago I had to take some refresher courses to advance my degree. They didn't allow credits for some classes if the time that had passed were more than ten years {this has changed}.

The first College instructor prefered Petruchi for General Chem. The Second chose Chang and I felt it was geared toward the chemistry major rather than a Physics major. McMurry was the Organic reference of choice and it was well written as well.

The Instructors' choice of material will be dependant on 1} personal preference. 2} The prime major coursework of that Universities' Science Department. 3} Sometimes even the Instructors sponsoring Dr. wrote the book - sometimes helpful and sometimes not.

If you really like Chemistry and think it's for you, go to your strength's. Math is your right arm - Mechanical/Chemical Engineering schools may fit you best.

Not so ? Biology/Chemical Engineering could be a better fit.

Feel free to disagree though with my observations though, the instructor still can make up for your problems and friends will be better at helping you get through it many times too.

Good luck and have a nice day. ;)

GCT

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 03:08:49 PM »
Hi everybody,

I am looking for a good chemical engineering school for transfer (I am now in a 2-year community college in CA) I am planning to apply for transfer in 06-07. Can anyone tell me what university would be a good choice?
Besides, does anyone know any public standized test of chemistry that I might take? Because my GPA is not very well (3.57) and I cannot even get one A in my chemistry classes. :'(
Thank you very much!

Try reseaching Cal Tech, also, you'll probably be taking the chemistry GRE

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »
Forget about Cal-Tech. Stick with the public UC system. ;)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline edwinksl

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: what is a good chemical engineering university?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:14:56 AM »
UIUC, University of Minnesota at Twin Cities, Uni of Wisconsin at Madison, UMich...

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: what is a good chemical engineering university?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:25:50 AM »
I guess it all depends where you are:

UK:
1. Cambridge
2. Imperial College London
3. University of Manchester
4. University College London

USA;
1. MIT
2. UC Berkeley
3. Stanford
4. UIUC
5. Texas A&M
6. Cornell
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links