April 28, 2024, 10:28:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A possible structure for (Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2)2+ ion ?  (Read 12460 times)

Deanzilla

A possible structure for (Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2)2+ ion ?
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:56:32 AM »
Hi all.
Before I ask my question I'd just like to point out that this seems like a FANTASTIC site. As a year 12 chemistry student, I find that since I did not really do year 11 chemistry (there is a long story behind this) some of the real fundamental concepts of chemistry are what drags me down when I study in this topic. It's really tough. It's like attempting physics without any grasp of maths. It's possible but it's a little harder. A site like this makes it easy to ask help for questions between classes.

Here is my question. I've been asked to suggest a possible structure for (Cu(NH3)4(H2O)22+ ion.

I've read through my notes of course but I feel totally clueless as howcan be structured. I've got a few ideas though:

The Cu will occupy the centre and will be totally surrounded by water molecules. The negative end of the water molecules will be facing the central Cu ion. Graphically, the Oxygen atom in the water molecules will face towards teh Cu where the Hydrogens will face away.

Now this is the part I'm really stuck with and can't understand how to draw. The ammonia molecules. I KNOW they will dissociate some of these water molecules surrounding the copper, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to draw this graphically. I don't have any examples I can refer to except for a Cu(H2O)62+

If anyone can please explain to me how these molcules can be drawn to represent the example I've given above (provided it's correct) it'd be greatly appreciated. I think I know what's happening with the ion, I'm just not sure how to correctly draw this. Thanks for any *delete me*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:21:26 AM by Mitch »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Transition Metals question.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 07:08:04 PM »
Its just an octahedral complex. 4 equtorial and 2 axial bonds.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Deanzilla

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 01:05:39 AM »
Its just an octahedral complex. 4 equtorial and 2 axial bonds.

I've included a picture of the basic ion I was referring to the whole time (with 6 water molecules attached). Using this as an example, I'd simply replace 4 of those water molecules with ammonia? That's what I assumed all along but I'm just not sure if that's correct.
I assumed this because I know the ammonia will desociate some of the water around the copper. But I'm not to confident when it comes to drawing these.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 01:06:45 AM by Deanzilla »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 01:20:27 AM »
looks fine.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links