March 28, 2024, 05:31:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: properties of an element  (Read 6001 times)

cardrap

properties of an element
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:46:27 PM »
what property is most closely related to the chemical behaviour of an element ? atomic mass or atomic number

thanks

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:properties of an element
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 06:27:28 PM »
atomic number
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:39:46 PM »
Atomic number... is it because the farther you go down the table the more violent the reactions? I'm thinking of alkali metals, like going from dropping sodium into water all the way to chucking some cesium in a lake (not that its possible without dying). Okay, I retract my previous statement  ;D

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 12:16:30 AM »
If you look at the periodic table, you realize that the elements are arranged in increasing atomic number from left to right, and from top to bottom. Note that elements in the same period are of the same valence shell number and elements in the same group has the same no. of valence electrons (with few exceptions).

Obviously, it would be atomic number. Perhaps atomic mass has a limiting rate fator in virtue being a bulkier reactant.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 10:08:14 PM by hmx9123 »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links