March 29, 2024, 04:54:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enamine Formation From Secondary Amine and Ketone  (Read 2934 times)

Offline jnouriel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enamine Formation From Secondary Amine and Ketone
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
Hi,

I was reading about Enamine Formation from secondary amines and ketones in Francis Carey's _Organic Chemistry_. One question about the mechanism is whether a regioselectivity exists for where the double forms? Does the double bond for between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent carbon that is most substituted? I thought it might be that because the transition state my have carbocation character, but I also thought that if the adjacent carbon is more substituted then there is possibly a steric hindrace blocking the base from deprotonating the carbon. So does is it the other option: does the double bond form between the carbonyl carbon and the adjacent carbon that is less substituted? I thought it might be this because the less substitution means that carbon has more hydrogens and therefore there is a higher probablity of the base interacting with a carbon that has 3 hydrogens then if it has 1 or 2. I also thought it might be the first option because the hydrogen's on a more substituted carbon are more acidic meaning the bond is weak and so lost easier, but I don't remember if that assumption about acidity is correct. Would appreciate information on this matter.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
Re: Enamine Formation From Secondary Amine and Ketone
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
In order for an enamine to react, the electron of the nitrogen must align with the electrons of the alkene. That means the pi-electrons will be perpendicular to the plane of the alkene. If you could make a model, compare the two possibilities. That will give you the correct answer.

Acetone is more acidic than 3-pentanone which is more acidic than diisopropyl ketone. Even though a methyl ketone is more acidic (kinetic), more substitution gives a more stable double bond (thermodynamic).
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links