April 24, 2024, 04:45:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Predicting Chemical Reactions  (Read 2231 times)

Offline gertrudetrumpet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Predicting Chemical Reactions
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a table of things to memorize to master this skill. I have difficulty with things like how halogens in basic solution will create hypohalite and halate ions. I just cannot predict them so I want to memorize these patterns at least.

I plan to  memorize all redox half equations like permanganate in neutral solution.

I also am looking for resources like why reactions occur, like in the case of double replacement, through formation of precipitate, weak electrolyte or gas.

Thank you very much

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
Re: Predicting Chemical Reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
There isn't a generalized rule that tells everything about how the reactants will react to produce which products. But experience and intuition generally help.

And if you look at the nature of many different bonds in chemistry, you will get a glimpse of why reactions occur.

Offline gertrudetrumpet

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
Right, but the intuition comes from exposure; and I am wondering if there is like a list of chemical reaction types like water and metal oxide form metal hydroxide..that stuff. Like I know the redox half reactions will help me with that sense (I had no idea some species can react the way they do before looking at the potentials chart), but I am wondering if there are more resources like that.

Thanks

Offline zaphraud

• Mole Snacks: +2/-10
  • Microwave Chemist
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
There's usually a way to engineer some exception to any rule anyone makes up anyways.

Like that covalent bond between gold and xenon that was discovered not too long ago...

Better just to think about it and read about it on a frequent basis, and be willing to make mistakes when it is OK to do so, so that when you are corrected, you will learn something.

Sponsored Links