April 24, 2024, 05:17:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bond problem  (Read 8019 times)

Offline azmanr

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bond problem
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
I don't understand this problem.

In solid I2 (iodine), is the distance between the two I nuclei of one I2 molecule longer or shorter than the distance between two I nuclei of adjacent I2 molecules?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Bond problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
Ok, if I label the I atoms it is easier to see, here are two I2 molecules next to each other:

Ia-Ib  Ib-Ia

The question asks about the difference in lengths Ia to Ib compared to Ib to Ib.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:31 AM »
Remember how bond energy is connected to bond lenght: what's the stronger bond there?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline azmanr

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
Oh i think i kinda got it. Would the distance between the nuclei be shorter than the distance between the two molecules because I2 are covalently bonded? Is that the right explanation and are there more pieces to it?ß

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Oh i think i kinda got it. Would the distance between the nuclei be shorter than the distance between the two molecules because I2 are covalently bonded? Is that the right explanation and are there more pieces to it?

Seems ok to me
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline azmanr

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
But it is also solid iodine. The distance between two iodine molecules would be close

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »
Remember that solid iodine, being I2 apolar, is kept together only by London forces (in fact it sublimates at low temperatures), so, compared with a covalent bond, the intermolecular forces are much more weaker and the distances between two I2 longer.

Sponsored Links