April 26, 2024, 10:32:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Crystallization - help would be appreciated  (Read 19749 times)

gingi

Crystallization - help would be appreciated
« on: October 01, 2005, 08:10:48 PM »
I have few question concerning two experiment I've done. I've been thinking about the answers, researching the web but I could not figure out the answers

* see in <> my assumptions !!

1) A sample of naphthalene, which should be pure white, was found to have a grayish color after the usual purification procedure. The melting point was correct and the melting range small. Explain the gray color.

<I assume it's not pure - however - howcome its melting point remains the same ? The impurity affects the range ?>

2)Under which circumstances is it wise to use a mixture of solvents to carry out a crystallization ?

<again, I assume - by reasoning - that once we have 2 liquids with the same solvent - properties, it won't matter if their mixture will be used as one solvent>

3) If a little activated charcoal does a good job removing impurities in a crystallization, why not use a large quantity ?

<the only thing I can think of is that the mass of the charocal will influence the results>
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:23:34 PM by gingi »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:Crystallization - help would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 08:17:42 AM »
1. Usuall purification procedure for naphtalene is sublimation - always crystals are white

2. It is quite complex problem - it depends on the method of crystallization
(evaporation of one solvent, change of temperatute and so on)

3. Excess of charcoal decreases yield.
AWK

gingi

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi and thanks for answering !

1. Usuall purification procedure for naphtalene is sublimation - always crystals are white

So I might be the reason for the grayish color ? I mean, the question is from crystalization - so I don't  
           understnad. Even in sublimation - what can make it gray ?

2. It is quite complex problem - it depends on the method of crystallization
(evaporation of one solvent, change of temperatute and so on)

3. Excess of charcoal decreases yield.
Thanks.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:40:28 AM »
The return question would be:

Did you use charcoal in your work-up?  If so, the gray color is probably from residual charcoal.  Filtration through Celite or clay-type materials helps keep out decolorants and might help avoid sublimation.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:06:20 AM »
A sample of naphthalene, which should be pure white, was found to have a grayish color after the usual purification procedure. The melting point was correct and the melting range small. Explain the gray color.

<I assume it's not pure - however - howcome its melting point remains the same ? The impurity affects the range ?>

Charcoal forms a suspension, not a solution.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

gingi

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
No. I didn't use it. This is a question taken straight from the text  - I assumed it's the charocal as well - but what I don't understant is how impurity relates to color. I've been trying to ace it online - but couldn't find anything.

Sponsored Links