April 26, 2024, 11:05:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: burning magnesium in Calcium chloride (aq)  (Read 4836 times)

Offline seeker32

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
burning magnesium in Calcium chloride (aq)
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »
I had some CaCl2 lying around and it hydrated itself into a liquid. So I poured it out onto my concrete patio and tried burning some magnesium ribbon in the puddle.
It burned with a very bright red flame and left weird feathery tentacle like residue where the magnesium burned. Does anyone know exactly what occurred? I know calcium burns red, but I wasn't expecting the magnesium to ignite the calcium chloride. And what is the chemical formula of that odd residue?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: burning magnesium in Calcium chloride (aq)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
You had a solution of Ca2+ salt in the presence of a very hot flame -- that is the definition of a flame test.  Most people use cheaper fuel sources, say a natural gas flame, but the impressive thermal energy of burning magnesium is a good way to excite ions to generate their emission spectrum.  I often see the magnesium ribbon ash to be white and feathery after burning.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: burning magnesium in Calcium chloride (aq)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:54 AM »
And what is the chemical formula of that odd residue?

I often see the magnesium ribbon ash to be white and feathery after burning.

MgO
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links