March 28, 2024, 07:47:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: carbon with 5 bonds  (Read 15480 times)

Offline zeshkani

• Mole Snacks: +2/-17
  • Chemist ?
carbon with 5 bonds
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
Hi all,

I was just trying to find out the reaction or place were carbon can have 5 bonds.

I have seen before were carbon had 5 bonds to it, it was an intermediate to some reaction, long time ago,

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to what reaction/ intermediate this coulda have been, or knows other reactions to were carbon can have 5 bonds to it.

i' am just curious to find out

thx

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: carbon with 5 bonds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
Carbon doesn't have 5 bonds. However, the intermediate to an Sn2 reactions is sometimes drawn as if the newly forming bond and the breaking bond are both in place at the same time, so it looks like a carbon with 5 substituents.

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
Re: carbon with 5 bonds
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:18:21 PM »
Hi all,

I was just trying to find out the reaction or place were carbon can have 5 bonds.

I have seen before were carbon had 5 bonds to it, it was an intermediate to some reaction, long time ago,

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas as to what reaction/ intermediate this coulda have been, or knows other reactions to were carbon can have 5 bonds to it.

i' am just curious to find out

thx

Maybe you were looking for the cation CH5+   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH5%2B ?

Remark, in this case the carbon atom is considered to have four bonds with five hydrogen atoms.
I don't know any compound where a carbon would have five bonds. Carbon atoms don't have five bonds.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Sponsored Links