April 18, 2024, 06:49:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: tricky radical mechanisms  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Synnr01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
tricky radical mechanisms
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
Hi, I'm currently studying for a 3rd year organic resit exam (missed it first time due to bike accident) and in doing past-paper questions I have come up against some hurdles.
This is the major one, it should be a radical mechanism.

I tried the anionic C attacking the carbonyl C, then O attacking positive sulfur to form a 4-membered ring.
Then LDA abstracting a proton from the methyl and the C-O bond breaking

It doesn't look good, help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had another couple of problems centred on the appearance of extra C atoms. Here's an example.

The mechanism looks easy, but I can't work out where the 11th carbon in the product has come from.

Thanks for your help
Huw

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: tricky radical mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
Hi, I'm currently studying for a 3rd year organic resit exam (missed it first time due to bike accident) and in doing past-paper questions I have come up against some hurdles.
This is the major one, it should be a radical mechanism.

I tried the anionic C attacking the carbonyl C, then O attacking positive sulfur to form a 4-membered ring.
Then LDA abstracting a proton from the methyl and the C-O bond breaking

It doesn't look good, help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had another couple of problems centred on the appearance of extra C atoms. Here's an example.

The mechanism looks easy, but I can't work out where the 11th carbon in the product has come from.

Thanks for your help
Huw

See perhaps http://www.organic-chemistry.org/namedreactions/corey-chaykovsky-reaction.shtm? I think the first arrow relates to 3 separate reactions.

Sponsored Links