April 24, 2024, 10:12:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Physical or Chemical Reaction? Multiple Choice  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Ryvon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Physical or Chemical Reaction? Multiple Choice
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »
Hello Chemical Forums! I was recently doing some online homework for my Chemistry class and stumbled upon a multiple choice question which, to me, had more than one answer. Here's the question:

A white solid is mixed with a clear liquid in a beaker. The mixture fizzes, turns green, and the beaker feels hot to the touch. What kind of change is occurring, and why?

Here are the answers I can choose from:

A. A physical change because the color changed, and color is a physical property.
B. A chemical change because an energy change is observed.
C. A chemical change because new substances are being formed that have new physical properties

The system marks A and B as incorrect, and C as the correct answer. However, I believe both B and C are correct.
Here's my reasoning for B:

If a sudden increase in temperature were to occur from the beaker when mixing a white solid into a clear liquid, it would be safe to assume that the reaction is exothermic (releasing energy into the surroundings). This would mean bonds are making products - a chemical interaction.
reactants → products + energy.

A physical change cannot suddenly release heat without first having heat inputted. It depends on the temperature and pressure of the surroundings.

Is my reasoning correct?
If not, how can a physical reaction produce heat when mixing two substances? - if possible, would you be able to give an example?

Thank you, everyone!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Physical or Chemical Reaction? Multiple Choice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »
The dissolving of substances will release  or cosumes energy, depending of the substance.  Example in wintertime salt is used to remove ice from the roads. This is only, because the meltingpoint is changes by the salt water mixture.

Dissolving is a physical process.

Other example the heatbags for the pocket. A saturated sodium acetate solution is colled down slowly. Its still liquid. But if yu bend a small metal clip in the bag, it gets cristallized and heat is obtained.

Sponsored Links