March 29, 2024, 09:15:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will laundry chemicals clog septic lines  (Read 3191 times)

Offline ch3mnovice

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Will laundry chemicals clog septic lines
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
I am wanting to make my own laundry detergent and have heard that the chemicals I wish to use will clog my septic line. I wish to use sodium carbonate, borax and a vegetable oil soap made with sodium dioxide. Does anyone know if these chemicals will react in a way which will clog my septic, or perhaps point me to more information on the web? The soap making sites I have visited have differing views on the potential problem.

Offline Benzenelover

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Re: Will laundry chemicals clog septic lines
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
I don't know nearly as much as the other geeks on this forum, but as far as I see it should be fine,a s long as you have enough water to desolve it.

By the way, I think you mean sodium hydroxide.
I've been studying chemistry for a few months online. I'm here to learn new things, and share what I've already learned.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Check out detergents.
Detergents don't produce "scale" while soaps do produce it. Soaps react with the Mg++ and Ca++ in the water and form a precipitate.

Check out the composition of detergents.
I doubt that any of them have NaOH but they probably have borax and sodium lauryl sulfate and stuff like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soap%26Detergents.png

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »
Your problem is essentially soap scum. It forms when detergent molecules react with calcium and magnesium ions in tap water to form a nasty insoluble precipitate. This is why modern laundry detergents contain so much lake and river choking phosphate. It is added to remove these ions from hard water so the detergent doesn't form scum which can clog pipes over time and makes clothes look dingy.

If you have very soft water, it probably won't be a problem, otherwise you can expect to get scum.
Individual results may vary

bobsmith

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:19 AM »
Whenever you drain the soap scum use high pressure water and it will not affect too much to septic line. Use high pressure water to clean drain line.

Sponsored Links