April 28, 2024, 07:08:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate the ph of a titration when it's at the equivalence point?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline SOS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I understand that for strong acid/base titration, the pH is always going to be 7. But for weak acid/strong base titrations, and having the same amount of moles of weak acid/strong base..how do I calculate the pH at it's equivalent point?

What is the pH at the equivalence point in the titration of 100 mL of 0.25 M acetic acid
(Ka = 1.8 x 10 –5) with 0.25 M NaOH?

Answer: 8.92

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Well, when your titration is over and you've reached the equivalence point you'll have a salt formed by a cation coming from a strong base (which obviously doesn't hydrolize) and an anion coming from a weak acid. So what you have to take into account is the hydrolysis of the last one and I hope you know how to calculate the pH of that.
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline SOS

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Could you show me the steps?

0.1L x 0.25M =0.025 mol Acetic Acid
HA -> H+ + A-
0.1L x 0.25M =0.025 mol NaOH
NaOH -> Na+ + OH-

At the equivalence point, what's left over is A- and OH-..So..

That's the furthest I can get..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to calculate the ph of a titration when it's at the equivalence point?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:01 AM »
At the equivalence point, what's left over is A- and OH-..So..

No, at equivalence point you have just a salt. In your case - sodium acetate. So in fact the problem to solve is "What is pH of sodium acetate solution".
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links