April 28, 2024, 02:20:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Generating Data for a Ternary Plot  (Read 2806 times)

Offline msun

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Generating Data for a Ternary Plot
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
Hey everyone,

This is probably a very elementary concept question, but I have a question about how to actually generate data for a ternary plot (triangle diagram) of a 3-liquid system. I'm doing some side work on a system of water-mineral oil-acetic acid with limited time, and I want to make sure I have the methodology right. I've been out of school for a year and liquid equilibrium was a long time ago. I'm still a little rusty.

I've been trying to do research but every paper written about a ternary system that I have found references a method, but doesn't explicitly describe it and goes on to the data. Search engines are pretty pointless, as the simple linguistic coincidence of "ternary" "plot" are just riddled with useless links on how to read them, and so forth. My goal is to experimentally generate ternary data points for the aforementioned system. What is the best way? I want to start with a set ratio of water and oil, and slowly add in acetic acid until I see an acetic acid phase, and repeat for 6-8 data points. pH will tell me how much is in the water, and I can figure out how much is in the oil from there.

Any advice on this type of methodology would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

--Mark

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Generating Data for a Ternary Plot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »

Offline msun

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Generating Data for a Ternary Plot
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
http://www.dplot.com/triangle-plot.htm
try the above link

I understand the concept of it. I'm just a little unsure of how to extract the data. Do I just add AA until saturation? Seems pointless, because the hypothetical ternary plot will just be a straight line. I understand plotting by mass fraction in the X and Y layer, but just not sure of the amount of AA to add.

Sponsored Links