April 18, 2024, 01:43:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: conductive polymer  (Read 11565 times)

Offline amal

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
conductive polymer
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
I am trying to find an electrically conductive polymer, I have searched a lot and could not find any useful info.

I want to buy it and dissolve it in organic solvent and then make thin coating from it (by any method, i.e. spin coating). the coating should be electrically conductive.

Thanks

Offline cheese (MSW)

• Not a
  • Mole Snacks: +15/-23
Re: conductive polymer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
google polyacetylene  McDiarmid and others were awarded the Noble Prize for its discovery a few years ago (google).
As I recall, polyacetylenedoped with I2 is silver colored and has a conductivity better than silver the best
RT electrical conductor.

Offline amal

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
google polyacetylene  McDiarmid and others were awarded the Noble Prize for its discovery a few years ago (google).
As I recall, polyacetylenedoped with I2 is silver colored and has a conductivity better than silver the best
RT electrical conductor.

will this polymer dissolve in organic solvent? will it loss its conductivity?

Thanks

Offline Nosterius

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
It all depends on what you desire to achieve.

A commonly used polymer for charge conduction in devices is PEDOT:PSS.

Offline opsomath

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +50/-8
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
PEDOT-PSS is a good option and is commercially available, and so is polyaniline. These are not soluble in organic solvents, though, they are generally aqueous suspensions. Polypyrrole would work as well.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/medialib/docs/Aldrich/General_Information/conducting_polymers.Par.0001.File.tmp/conducting_polymers.pdf

To get something which is soluble in organics, you will have to start with a semiconducting polymer and dope it to make it conductive. Depending on how much conductivity you need, the poly-3-alkylthiophenes above might work. To dope, you can expose the polymer to iodine vapor or ferric chloride vapor/solution.

You can also go with a precursor route; there are precursor polymers to polyacetylene in the link above, or you can spincast terthiophene then oxidize it to polythiophene.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
Can you say more about your application?  There are rubber copounds that are conductive.  But, you wouldn't want to send large amounts of current through them.  They are made conductive by putting large amounts of conductive carbon black in the compound. 

Other polymers can be made conductive by adding a conductive metal to the compound.  Most of the conductive metals are expensive (read that as silver or worse).

Hope this helps and good luck.

ncaothach

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
Dear amal! As i know, All normal conductive polymer are insoluble in organic solvent or water, thus limiting it's practical application to large extent.  To date the most extensively used solution to address this insolubility problem is to incorporate kinds of substituents onto the polymer backbone (ex: polythiophene) such as alkyl, alkoxyl, perfluoroalkyl, amine, carboxyl and zwitterionic groups, making
PT soluble or dispersible in organic solvents, water or supercritical fluids.  These soluble polymer derivatives are directly used as film
materials. Currently, I am doing thesis synthesized polythiophene, hoping to discuss with you and everyone. ncaothach from Vietnam

Offline duko

• Very New Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
Hello!

I am new here and I need some help.

Can you make polyaniline and polyacetylene in home lab?

Which chemicals I need to make conductive polyaniline (PANI)? And how is the process?

Please if you can help me!

Best regards

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »

Sponsored Links