April 28, 2024, 10:43:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat of Formation Trends  (Read 6637 times)

Offline killmyentourage

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heat of Formation Trends
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »
Q.

deltaHf of CaCl2 = -796 kJ/mol
...FeCl2 = -342
...CuCl2 = -220

Rationalize why these values become less exothermic across rows.

I believe this has something to do with the electron configuration/size of the atoms but I can't pinpoint the exact nature of this question. I know that the CaCl2 formation is so exothermic because all the atom's orbitals are filled. Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Cavillus

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
    • Cera Una Candela
Re: Heat of Formation Trends
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:29:43 AM »
Q.

deltaHf of CaCl2 = -796 kJ/mol
...FeCl2 = -342
...CuCl2 = -220

Rationalize why these values become less exothermic across rows.

I believe this has something to do with the electron configuration/size of the atoms but I can't pinpoint the exact nature of this question. I know that the CaCl2 formation is so exothermic because all the atom's orbitals are filled. Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, IMHO you should consider two factors:

1. The electronegativity of the metal, so his willingness to give away his electrons;
2. The electronic structure of the resulting ion.

So, it is clear that CaCl2 is the most stable one. Ca has the lower electronegativity, and Ca2+ has a closed electronic structure.

Explaining the difference between Fe and Cu is a little trickier, because the electronegativity difference is negligible.
We can look, however, at the electronic structure:

Fe: 4s23d6
Cu: 4s13d10

So, their ions have this structures:

Fe2+: 4s13d5
Cu2+: 4s23d7

The iron ion structure is called "semi-closed orbitals structure" and it is more stable than other structures with more or less than half of the total electrons in there.

This, in my opinion, could explain why FeCl2 is more stable.
How to Catch a Lion in the Sahara Desert:

The Quantum Measurement Method: We assume that the sex of the lion is _ab initio_ indeterminate. The wave function for the lion is hence a superposition of the gender eigenstate for a lion and that for a lioness. We lay these eigenstates out flat on the ground and orthogonal to each other. Since the (male) lion has a distinctive mane, the measurement of sex can safely be made from a distance, using binoculars. The lion then collapses into one of the eigenstates, which is rolled up and placed inside the cage.

Offline killmyentourage

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Heat of Formation Trends
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:44:08 AM »
Thank you. I wrote something along those lines but I'll be sure to update once my professor posts the correct answers.

Sponsored Links