March 28, 2024, 08:17:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding common solvent for Europium nitrate, PBD and PVK.  (Read 3844 times)

Offline zemega

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Finding common solvent for Europium nitrate, PBD and PVK.
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:56:02 AM »
Hello. I'm actually was an applied physic student with some basic in Chemistry. So, first of all, I admit i made a mistake in believing Europium nitrate can be dissolved in chloroform. So currently I'm looking for a solvent that can dissolves all three materials together. Please advise me in this matter. Unfortunately, i have already received the material and unable to change the materials.

PVK is  poly(N-vinylcarbazole), PBD is 2-(4-biphenylyl)-5-phenyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole and europium nitrate is Eu(NO3)3.5H2O .

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Finding common solvent for Europium nitrate, PBD and PVK.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
Never tried to dissolve a lanthanide before but DMSO will dissolve damn near anything, including many inorganic salts. Lanthanides also tend to be pretty oxophilic too, so alcohols or ethers might dissolve it. Samarium iodide will dissolve in THF, but the oxidation state of the metal is different. You could also look around to see what ligands are used to get europium or other lanthanides (they all have pretty much the same chemistry) in organic phase.
Individual results may vary

Offline zemega

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Finding common solvent for Europium nitrate, PBD and PVK.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »
I forgot to mention, the solvent must also not dissolves or harms ITO substrate, thin layer of indium tin oxide on a sheet of glass.

Sponsored Links