April 25, 2024, 06:12:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DL-METHIONINE ODOR  (Read 7384 times)

Offline johnk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
DL-METHIONINE ODOR
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
Hey Everyone,

There is something I am stuck on. I know this exists, I just don't know how to do this exactly. For those familiar with DL-Methionine, it has an unpleasant odor and taste, I am trying to learn on what process can help me remove the odor and smell of this chemical. I know it exists because I have a sample of DL-Methionine crystals which are smell and taste free. I'd appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: DL-METHIONINE ODOR
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
If a molecule intrinsically has an odor, there's no way of removing it. What you're smelling is probably coming from a contaminant. Look up ways of purifying methionine and that should get rid of the odor.
Individual results may vary

Offline johnk

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for your reply. I did look that up, but beyond my understanding! This is out there for anyone, if somebody has experience with this matter, I can even send you a sample of the finished product I am searching for, (sample of dl-methionine that I have without smell or taste) if you would like to fabricate it for me and teach me how to do it, of course for a fee. I hope to hear from somebody!

Thank you!

If a molecule intrinsically has an odor, there's no way of removing it. What you're smelling is probably coming from a contaminant. Look up ways of purifying methionine and that should get rid of the odor.

Offline johnk

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I've had no replies. Can anyone refer me to a chemist who can help me with this? I'd really appreciate some contacts.

Thanks!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I've had no replies. Can anyone refer me to a chemist who can help me with this? I'd really appreciate some contacts.

Thanks!
Re-crystsallise, it add a small portion of active charcoal, filter while hot and let it crystallize.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline johnk

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Re-crystsallise, it add a small portion of active charcoal, filter while hot and let it crystallize.

Thanks. I tries this don't know if somehow I did it wrong? Did not work. Awaiting feedback. Thanks.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Thanks. I tries this don't know if somehow I did it wrong? Did not work. Awaiting feedback. Thanks.

Suspend the compound in the re-crystallisation solvent, add some active charcoal, heat to BPt. filter at the BPt. Collect the filtrate cool it down and let it crystalize. Do all of this under nitrogen and in the dark.
Methionine is not that stable towards light so try and do this away from light keep it in the dark if you can.
It may be eliminating trace amounts of methane thiol causing the smell.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline johnk

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
Hey. Thanks for the info. If you wouldn't mind, could I communicate with you through email? Shoot me an email when you get a chance, there's a couples of things I'd like to discuss. [email removed]

Thanks a lot!

Do not post email addresses on the forum, use private messaging. Please read Forum Rules
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:28:13 AM by Dan »

Sponsored Links