March 28, 2024, 01:13:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Festivities  (Read 10299 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Festivities
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:28:43 PM »
This comes from the Halloween costume topic and mike's post.

Anybody celebrate any intresting holidays or festivities we may not have here in America.

Anybody is welcomed. Even fellow Americans who do cool things.

I figure this is a good way to get to know other cultures.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:29:20 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
Re:Festivities
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 09:34:33 PM »
I decided to add something also.

The first week of every August my family (relatives & parents) and I go camping. On Saturday night of the first week we always have a giant spaghetti dinner. It's alotta fun and we throw spaghetti at each other and dunk our faces (or shoud I say other people's faces) in it.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:40:24 PM »
Well yesterday we had one of the biggest days in the Australian year: The Melbourne Cup.

The Melbourne Cup is an annual horse race, "the race that stops the nation". It is s public holiday for some places and everyone else gets to drink and watch the race at work.

We bet over $140,000,000 (AUS) keep in mind that our population is about 20million so that is an average of $7 bet for every single man, woman and child :D :D

Mike
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:40:31 AM »
On November 1st we (in Poland) pay tribute to our dead. We visit all family graves to light candles. While it is hectic during a day (imagine the crowd) later in the evening all graveyards look beautilfull with thousands of small lights.

No idea if it counts as festivity though ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Oldtimer

Amazing ideas. A horserace across the entire nation !
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 02:53:55 AM »
Colorado has a lot of festivities in the mountains. Steamboat Springs has a yearly horse and buggy race.
Telluride has a number of different music and movie festivals.
College Days used to be a great time at Ft. Collins every spring. Now it's illegal.
There are mushroom festivals in the fall in several mountain communities. They gather all the edible mushrooms and have a giant cookoff with them.

Boulder has {or at least used to have} a bed race at some point in the year always. Teams of four push a bed with an occupant in it across town I guess.

Not exactly holidays, but really fun anyhow.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 01:02:46 PM by Oldtimer »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 06:22:39 PM »
Do you guys get public holidays?

We get:

New Years Day
Australia Day
Adelaide Cup Day
Melbourne Cup Day
Queen's Birthday
Labour Day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Anzac Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 09:03:42 PM »
Christmas
Labor Day (we don't put the u in it)
Memorial Day
Columbus Day
Presidents Day
Thanksgiving
New Years
Voting Day
Martin Luther King Day
4th of July (Independance Day)

Those are all the Days we get off, atleast in school.

P.S. The 4th is in the summer but people still get that day off, usually...

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 08:26:31 AM »
Wait until you get out of school and get into the 'Real World'.  The number of days off you get drops precipitously.  These are the only paid holidays that my employer gives me:

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day After Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day

That's it.  However, for our foreign offices they give them every f&#^$*@ holiday you can think of.  That REALLY pisses me off, especially when the corporate office then outsources our work to the foregin offices too.   >:(
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 10:42:09 AM »
However, for our foreign offices they give them every f&#^$*@ holiday you can think of.  That REALLY pisses me off, especially when the corporate office then outsources our work to the foregin offices too.

In Poland there are many national holidays (too much in my opinion), that are free due to law regulations so it is obligatory to let workers go home.

November 1st was free, Nivember 11th will be free, than 25th and 26th Decmeber and January 1st.

I am working on my own at home, so I don't know which days are free and which are not - I am working when there is something to do and farting around otherwise ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:34:45 AM »
Here in Austria we get off from the 26th to the 28th of October (The anniversary of Austria's indipendence)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
Wait until you get out of school and get into the 'Real World'.  The number of days off you get drops precipitously.  These are the only paid holidays that my employer gives me:

Is this in the USA? I have heard that you guys are worked pretty hard over there. We get all the public holidays + 4 weeks recreation leave + 15days sick leave (these are all paid) and most people are able to take days off without pay as well. What are the conditions of work like over there?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 08:47:45 PM »
america sure sounds nasty..

i am considering a career in the investment banking sector..

i want to retire before age 45.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 09:49:54 PM »
From what I've noticed a lot of people just work 5 days a week for probably 6-9 hours and then spend all of there money on the weekends. It's a work a lot and then spend society. That's from my observations. I'm still not out in the "real" world yet.

I'm hopeing to hit it big on the lottery here in New Hampshire.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 10:08:55 AM »
Is this in the USA? I have heard that you guys are worked pretty hard over there. We get all the public holidays + 4 weeks recreation leave + 15days sick leave (these are all paid) and most people are able to take days off without pay as well. What are the conditions of work like over there?

Yup.  We all work 40 hours weeks; 8 hours a day for five days each week.  My company only gives us 3 weeks of paid vacation, two 'personal days off' and unlimited sick time, though it you abuse that 'privilage' they will make you financially pay for your time off.  You can take days off without pay, but I don't see the point in that.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 03:40:14 AM »
Yup.  We all work 40 hours weeks; 8 hours a day for five days each week.  My company only gives us 3 weeks of paid vacation, two 'personal days off' and unlimited sick time, though it you abuse that 'privilage' they will make you financially pay for your time off.  You can take days off without pay, but I don't see the point in that.

This is quite similar to us I suppose.

One difference is that as an Australian we are expected to abuse the "sick days" we are given ;) :D

I agree that there isn't too much need to take unpaid days off. My wife took a year off unpaid when we visited the UK for a year, and then returned to her job when we got back.

I think it should be a three day working week, four days off, or alternatively two months on full time and two months off full time.

Sponsored Links