April 28, 2024, 08:08:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: specific heat capacity  (Read 5721 times)

Joel

specific heat capacity
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
Hello! I'm new here as you can see, and I have a question :)

A 150.0g piece of a metal at 75.0 degrees C is added to 150.0g of water at 15.0 degrees C. The temperature of the water rises to 18,3 degrees C.

How can I now calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal, assuming that all the heat lost by the metal is gained by the water? I've tried for a while now, and I can't get it right.

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
Re:specific heat capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 04:15:23 PM »
Hello! I'm new here as you can see, and I have a question :)

A 150.0g piece of a metal at 75.0 degrees C is added to 150.0g of water at 15.0 degrees C. The temperature of the water rises to 18,3 degrees C.

How can I now calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal, assuming that all the heat lost by the metal is gained by the water? I've tried for a while now, and I can't get it right.

the heat released by the reaction is taken up by the water . Thus

Q(metal) = Q(water)

-->

c * m * delta T = c * m * delta T

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 04:16:19 PM by sdekivit »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:37:59 PM »
assuming 100% heat transfer,

heat gain by water = heat loss by metal

heat gain by water = mass of water X heat capacity of water X temperature increment of water.

heat loss by metal = mass of metal X heat capacity of metal X temperature decrement of metal

the temperature of the metal after cooled down will be the same as the final temperature of water because only at thermal equilibrium then there will be no heat transfer.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Joel

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:25:31 AM »
Thanks to both of you! It all makes sense to me now and I got the problem solved :)

Sponsored Links