March 28, 2024, 08:15:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ascorbic Acid back titration  (Read 12706 times)

goanna_s

Ascorbic Acid back titration
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »
I have performed a back titration on a vitamin C tablet to determine the amount of ascorbic acid present.

The method is basically to react excess iodine with the ascorbic acid and titrate the remaining iodine with thiosulfate.

What I want to know is why a back titration was performed, rather than titration directly with iodine. Is it because the endpoint is hard to determine with the direct method and therefore less accurate?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Ascorbic Acid back titration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:00:16 AM »
How would you know the end point?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

goanna_s

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:07:38 AM »
With the direct method? I guess when you start to see the brown colour of iodine appear.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 04:33:56 AM »
Check kinetics of the ascrobic acid/iodine reaction - if the reaction is slow it is much better to add excess of reagent, wait till equilibrium (15 minutes is often enough) then reverse titrate remaining excess. Think how slowly reacting solution will behave near the endpoint - you add a drop of titrant and you see color change... only to dissapear after several seconds.

If I recall correctly iodometry endpoint is never as sharp as in some other titrations.

End point can be found in both cases - it is either colorless solution getting blue, or blue solution getting colorless. Near endpoint amount of free iodine is so low that solution will be not brown, but - at best - pale yellow.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

GCT

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »
It may be beacuse the end point of pertaining to the latter two titrants is preferred, or an excess of the first titrant is required due to stoichiometry.

Sponsored Links