April 19, 2024, 01:32:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: heating to mass  (Read 3457 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
heating to mass
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »
   I was just wondering, I had a sample of KNO3 that I heated to get rid of some of the water within the sample.  My question is, is there anything I could do to know if it is starting to decompose, and not giving off water vapor?  Also was this a good compound to do this with, because there was what appeared to be a lot of steam.  Thanks to all feed back. 

Offline batsonb

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: heating to mass
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
As I recall, potassium nitrate has a fairly low melting point for an ionic crystal.  It would be a poor choice to determine water content.  It has very little water, usually.  It melts and thus would be completely anhydrous at that point. Stop heating at that point.

Offline bidiboom

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:50 PM »
   I was just wondering, I had a sample of KNO3 that I heated to get rid of some of the water within the sample.  My question is, is there anything I could do to know if it is starting to decompose, and not giving off water vapor?  Also was this a good compound to do this with, because there was what appeared to be a lot of steam.  Thanks to all feed back. 

To my knowledge, all of the ionic compounds of NO3 are soluble.. by heating aq. sol. of it, you lose all of the water and there you are left back again with KNO3, only with a structural change.. if you can heat it to a pretty high level, then you can make it happen a chem.reaction (See "Properties" part):
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Potassium+nitrate    

MsRhode312

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
by heating any matter it changes the phase of matter.

Sponsored Links