March 28, 2024, 04:48:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ionic bonding  (Read 6393 times)

pharm16

ionic bonding
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:07:52 PM »
I have this question on a take home quiz, that I just cannot answer with full certainty after having looked it up in my textbook and my notes!  I really need help within the next fifteen minutes.

The question is: Arrange the following aggregates in order of decreasing ionic properties: lithium iodide, barium oxide, aluminum chloride, cesium fluoride, rubidium bromide, potassium sulfide, calcium oxide, chlorine monofluoride, diphosphorus trifluoride, and elemental fluorine.

I attempted to use Coloumb's law for this, but I noticed that the last three compounds are covalently bonded, so I don't know if I arrived at the correct answer.  Please help me!!!

My answer is calcium oxide, barium oxide, aluminum chloride, potassium sulfide, lithium iodide, rubidium bromide, cesium fluoride, diphosphorus trifluoride, chlorine monofluoride, and elemental fluorine.

Please hurry.

Thanks

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:ionic bonding
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:40:09 PM »
Just rank them in decreasing electronegativity difference.

The higher the electronegativity difference, the greater the ionic character the chemical bond has.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:ionic bonding
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:40:25 PM »
We're not going to do your take home quiz for you  ::)
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links