April 25, 2024, 10:47:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Getting rid of permanganate stains  (Read 11770 times)

metalriffzz

Getting rid of permanganate stains
« on: October 08, 2005, 12:04:23 AM »
I finally found out something that will get rid of those pesky Manganese dioxide stains, you know the ones you get from leaving potassium permanganate out on concrete etc... Anyway it's 1 part vinegar and 1 part store bought hydrogen peroxide. I was just wondering if anybody knew the exact reaction taking place.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Getting rid of permanganate stains
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 11:40:34 AM »
I know it sounds funny - peroxide gets oxidized :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 11:44:24 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 05:34:48 AM »
the manganese dioxide is converted to Mn2+ ions which are colourless
one learns best by teaching

metalriffzz

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »
If thats the case, what makes the MnO2 soluble in that solution, but not soluble in the vinegar or the peroxide by itself?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 01:44:23 PM »
You need peroxide and H+ for this reaction to take place.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

metalriffzz

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 02:30:02 PM »
Ohh, ok thanks. So I'm guessing this reaction would be more efficient with say, HCl?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »
Do you suppose those kinds of stains would appear on a bath tub. I have some brownish stains on my tub where the water runs around the drain and Bleach couldn't get rid of it. I was guessing it was maybe Iron but I thought that Bleach would probably remove of the problem.

If it's possible that this stuff can be Manganese then the vinegar trick should work right?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »
I have some brownish stains on my tub where the water runs around the drain and Bleach couldn't get rid of it. I was guessing it was maybe Iron but I thought that Bleach would probably remove of the problem.

No way.Bleach may - at best - try to oxidize iron more. But iron in such stains is already at +3, so the bleach can't do anything.

If it's possible that this stuff can be Manganese then the vinegar trick should work right?

Have you poured some manganese solution there? If not, these are not manganese stains.

Try some iron stain and lime remover, it should do the trick.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:21:59 PM »
Ohh, ok thanks. So I'm guessing this reaction would be more efficient with say, HCl?

Probably, although HCl is not the best choice, as in the presence of oxidizers Cl- can get oxidized to Cl2. I am not sure potentials of the oxidizers in this case will be high enough, but acetic acid or H2SO4 look like much safer selection.

Sponsored Links