March 29, 2024, 08:11:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Turning Fire Blue Safely.  (Read 15527 times)

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Turning Fire Blue Safely.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 05:25:46 AM »
What about some of these sites?

They quote copper, AFAIR it gives very faint green/blue flame color. Potassium will be not really blue, but mixed with red (violet, purple, whichever way you want to name the color ;) ). And - as it is mentioned somewhere on these pages - there is usually enough sodium in the wood to mask any attempt to change the color of the fire. It will be probably especially visible in case of blue, which is very faint.

But then, trying with copper chloride won't hurt - although it will be not really blue flame, bluish at best. Better bluish then nothing.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 01:01:45 PM »
You could try using an ester, I have pepared some alkyl borate esters which dissolved in alcohol, add a bright green color to the flame.

Cobalt (II) compounds impart a bright blue color to a flame, you could try synthesising some sort of cobaltic ester, or a cobalt (II) alcoholate complex, cobalt alkoxides perhaps.

Never done the exact experiment myself, but I think it could work, say, prepare cobalt isopropoxide, and dissolve a small quantity in MeOH.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »
If the party is going to take place mainly at night then the blue flame would be more visible.

The cobaltic ester idea sounds cool and fun to make given it's possible. Isn't colbalt expensive also?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 06:48:53 PM »
You could try one of those "fake" fires made from a coloured piece of silk, a light and a fan. They often look quites real.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 08:37:08 PM »
That is such an unbelievably good idea. Such a simple solution. It's simple enough for someone to at their home without any knowledge of chemistry and without having to worry about blowing themselves up. I don't know why anyone else didn't think of that sooner.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:37:46 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 09:17:08 PM »
oooh silk fire.. won't keep you warm though I guess.

and yes I realise this isn't blue!

I really wan't to know how this party turns out.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 09:46:42 PM »
What you want for a blue fire is copper(I) chloride, also sold as campfire blue.  Soak a pinecone or some wood chips in a saturated solution for several weeks.  Then dry them out and when you're ready, toss them in the fire.  Solid colorants work, too, but getting them into the hot part of the flame is a problem.  As for the tiki torches, I don't know what to tell you.  The inorganic salts won't be very soluble.  If you were able to incorporate more chloride (such as through parlon or PVC) and add some hexamine, you could get a really excellent blue, but that's starting to get into a slightly more toxic and more pyrotechnic application.

Sponsored Links