April 26, 2024, 10:42:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I neutralize the smell in vinegar?  (Read 40196 times)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: How do I neutralize the smell in vinegar?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
crank01 - until you answer the following questions...

Quote from: fledarmus
what properties of the vinegar are you actually looking for?

Quote from: fledarmus
what purpose does the vinegar have in the beauty product?

...this thread will go nowhere.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Ballistic

• Mole Snacks: +3/-2
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »
So, you want to create a beauty product with the active ingredient vinegar but
not to smell of vinegar? Just put "now with extra vinegar" on the labelling. ;)

Offline crank01

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
So, you want to create a beauty product with the active ingredient vinegar but
not to smell of vinegar? Just put "now with extra vinegar" on the labelling. ;)
lol true, and the reason why I would like to use vinegar is because is makes the skin soft, and helps to clean out pores. Dont ask me "HOW???" lol its just what seems to happen to mine and people who also use it on there skin. talking about apple cider vinegar.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
OK, basically, cider vinegar cleans pores and softens skin.  I'll take that at face value.  You have a compounded face cream with the right amount of active agent, but it smells too much like salad dressing to sell.  You can't just remove the vinegar smell from acetic acid, a pure compound, and the impurities in cider or other flavors of vinegar don't enter into the debate over the vinegar smell.  You simply have to mask the vinegar smell with other scents.  For example, find botanical with synergistic effects, and a strong scent.  Market like hell.  And send me a percentage. ;D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline crank01

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »
OK, basically, cider vinegar cleans pores and softens skin.  I'll take that at face value.  You have a compounded face cream with the right amount of active agent, but it smells too much like salad dressing to sell.  You can't just remove the vinegar smell from acetic acid, a pure compound, and the impurities in cider or other flavors of vinegar don't enter into the debate over the vinegar smell.  You simply have to mask the vinegar smell with other scents.  For example, find botanical with synergistic effects, and a strong scent.  Market like hell.  And send me a percentage. ;D
lol ok thanks for the tip  :) and if I make money from this then sure u can

also a google search for a botanical with synergistic effects was epic fail  :-[ can u think of any off the top of your head.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
"I would like to use vinegar is because is makes the skin soft, and helps to clean out pores. Dont ask me "HOW???" lol its just what seems to happen to mine and people who also use it on there skin. talking about apple cider vinegar."

Scientists hate to see "Don't ask me how, it just works" I'm going to be "that guy" and suggest you get a little scientific on this:

Have you tried other types of vinegar?
How do their pH's differ? (you can get pH strips for a reasonable price online).
If its cinder vinegar only that has this effect, it could be some other component that is causing this effect. Does neutralizing it with baking soda or another base maintain the skin softening effect?
Individual results may vary

Offline crank01

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »
"I would like to use vinegar is because is makes the skin soft, and helps to clean out pores. Dont ask me "HOW???" lol its just what seems to happen to mine and people who also use it on there skin. talking about apple cider vinegar."

Scientists hate to see "Don't ask me how, it just works" I'm going to be "that guy" and suggest you get a little scientific on this:

Have you tried other types of vinegar?
How do their pH's differ? (you can get pH strips for a reasonable price online).
If its cinder vinegar only that has this effect, it could be some other component that is causing this effect. Does neutralizing it with baking soda or another base maintain the skin softening effect?
Damn for that quote of mine I sure had bad spelling typos lol, jeez. And yes it's apple cider vinegar, and I haven't tried any bases to start with, what bases do you think I can try that is readily available?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) would be the obvious first try. Ammonium hydroxide would be another possibility (ammonia in water), although you would need to balance it very carefully so that the ammonia just neutralizes the acetic acid and neither one can be smelled much. A small amount of an anionic detergent might also work - sodium lauryl sulfate, for example.

Offline crank01

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) would be the obvious first try. Ammonium hydroxide would be another possibility (ammonia in water), although you would need to balance it very carefully so that the ammonia just neutralizes the acetic acid and neither one can be smelled much. A small amount of an anionic detergent might also work - sodium lauryl sulfate, for example.
thanks I'll write these down, anyone got more to suggest please let me know  ;D

and I know this thread is totally different than what you all mainly focus on lol so sorry if its out of the ordinary.

Sponsored Links