April 27, 2024, 09:18:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics  (Read 10242 times)

littlebabibee148

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:43:29 PM »
When reading the organic substance section of the crc handbook, there are two little numbers (on on top of another) in the density column. What do they mean??? (they are right after the unit of measurement and are in bold and small. . .and as i said before. . .one on top of another) My chem teacher has no idea and we are trying to figure it out!! PLEASE *delete me*!!!! thanks!!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 04:00:57 AM »
1. They are described somewhere in the handbook.

2. What values do they take - 4, 17, 20, 22, 25? If so, these are deg C temperatures. I don't remember details about why there are two sometimes - probably it means that the density was measured compared to the water density and one temp. is for substance, and the second is for water. But I can be wrong.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

littlebabibee148

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »
the problem with that, however, is that sometimes there are not two numbers present, and density is always the same. (temperature will not change how dense something is)
and also, the meaning of the numbers is not present in the explanation of abbreviations in the pretext charts    but thank you so much!!!!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 11:10:05 AM »
the problem with that, however, is that sometimes there are not two numbers present, and density is always the same.

They are probably given only if known.

temperature will not change how dense something is

Huh? Water is 0.99913 at 15 deg C and 0.99823 at 20 deg C. Is this 'no change'?

and also, the meaning of the numbers is not present in the explanation of abbreviations in the pretext charts    but thank you so much!!!!!

Check earlier sections - it is probably described before the symbol is used for the first time in whole handbook (perhaps before inorganic section? or some general section about raw materials - I don't have CRC handbook so I can't check, but that's how such handbooks are constructed).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

littlebabibee148

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 11:20:18 AM »
thanks!!! --just quoting what my chem teacher says-- maybe we aren't that far!!! --take a chil pill!!!! especially since you're wrong!!! density does not change ok bye

littlebabibee148

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:23:02 AM »
and i'm in chemistry class right now --ps by the way--

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 01:41:02 PM »
density does change with temperature, since density is related to volume.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:41:37 PM by sdekivit »

Garneck

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 03:24:51 PM »
thanks!!! --just quoting what my chem teacher says-- maybe we aren't that far!!! --take a chil pill!!!! especially since you're wrong!!! density does not change ok bye

Blasphemy..

Example: water - fill a plastic bottle to the top with water, screw the cap on and put it in the freezer. Wait overnight and see what happens.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »
Example: water - fill a plastic bottle to the top with water, screw the cap on and put it in the freezer. Wait overnight and see what happens.

That will be phase transition, not volume change due to temperature change.

Garneck

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 06:24:50 PM »
That will be phase transition, not volume change due to temperature change.

Whatever you call it - it is volume change due to temperature change..

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 06:32:45 PM »
the problem with that, however, is that sometimes there are not two numbers present, and density is always the same. (temperature will not change how dense something is)

no. density is dependent on temperature.

for a solid, the change in density is negligible, so it is effectively constant.

for a liquid, the change in density is less negligible than that of solid, but it's still negigible.

for a gas, the change in density is very big (with temperature)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links