April 28, 2024, 03:24:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mass % of Saccharin  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Twoacross

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mass % of Saccharin
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »
So here's the question:

Saccharin, an artificial sweetner, has the formula C7H5NO3S. Suppose you have a sample of a saccharin-containing sweetner with a mass of 0.226 g. The sulfur present was converted to sulfate ion and precipitated with Ba2+ to produce 0.257 g of barium sulfate. What is the mass % of saccharin in the sample? (Obviously we must assume that the only sulfur in the sample is from the saccharin!)

Attempt: What i tried doing was converted the mass of barium sulfate into moles, converted that into moles of sulphur, took that and did a mole conversion from sulphate to the Saccharin, from the value from that, i would divide small / large x 100% and thats my answer, does that sound right?

If you guys don't mind, could you check my method for this next question:

1.994 g of AgNO3 is made up to 250.0 mL in a volumetric flask. This solution is used to precipitate the chloride ion in 25.00 mL of brackish water. If 25.43 mL of the AgNO3 solution is required what is the chloride concentration in the brackish water?

If brackish water is of salty property, i tried imagining it as salt water so something like NaCl, so i wrote an equation like:

AgNO3 + NaCl ==>..

So i had thought of finding the moles of AgNO3, converting it to NaCl to imagine it as brackish water, and then find the concentration of the Cl^- then again with so many ways to approach this problem, its confusing on which way i should go.

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Mass % of Saccharin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:42 AM »
Your methods look correct to me.

Post you calculations if you want them checked.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links