April 25, 2024, 12:39:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it possible to stabilize pH in water after adjusting it using Electrolyisis?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Gord10

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm doing a paper on water that has been electrolyzed using an electric appliance called a water ionizer. I found this explanation as to what happens. "Negatively charged compounds such as Sulphur and Chlorine are attracted to the positive electrode or anode and positively charged compounds such as Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium are attracted to the negative electrode or cathode. Oxidation or loss of electrons occurs at the anode and reduction or gaining of electrons occurs at the cathode. Reduction Oxidation Potential or ORP characterizes the activity of electrons in water."

This process can take the pH from 7 to 10 but by the next day it is pretty well back to 7 when put in a PET bottle. I found that glass works a lot better going for 4 to 5 days. Is it possible to keep the pH at that high level without the use of chemicals for an extended time? I believe adding a buffer would help and I tried sodium bi-carb. but it only held the pH at about 8.2. Other buffers might be more suitable and I even found material indicating some kind of Ion exchange system would do it.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Aeon

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
You forced chemical reactions to occur by applying a voltage between two electrodes in solution. The water itself hasn't been electrolyzed, or else you would be left with molecular hydrogen and oxygen.

What is the definition of pH?

Water is a solvent. Can a gas dissolve in an aqueous solvent? More specifically, can CO2 dissolve in water?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
More specifically, can CO2 dissolve in water?

The way I understood the OP water was stored in closed PET bottles; but perhaps you are right and I had read more than OP wrote.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links