April 20, 2024, 09:28:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: buffer and salt removal from aqueous solutions of organic compounds  (Read 2537 times)

Offline IONIC STRENGTH

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey, I have a compound that stays in the aqueous layer when I try to extract it from the reaction mixture (ethyl acetate or CHCl3-IPA 3:1); the reaction takes place in Na2HPO4/NaOH buffer. I´ve tried to precipitate it from water using acetic acid but although I have got rid of a large amount of salts, it still contains them and also a part of the compound remains in the solution..I wonder if some kind of resin (ionic exchange) could help...Any suggestion?
Oh, it has a carboxylic group and an hemiacetal group; MW around 300 Da..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:31:26 AM by IONIC STRENGTH »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: buffer and salt removal from aqueous solutions of organic compounds
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
Hey, I have a compound that stays in the aqueous layer when I try to extract it from the reaction mixture (ethyl acetate or CHCl3-IPA 3:1); the reaction takes place in Na2HPO4/NaOH buffer. I´ve tried to precipitate it from water using acetic acid but although I have got rid of a large amount of salts, it still contains them and also a part of the compound remains in the solution..I wonder if some kind of resin (ionic exchange) could help...Any suggestion?
Oh, it has a carboxylic group and an hemiacetal group; MW around 300 Da..

Perhaps you should take the pH lower, acetic acid may not be enough to re-protonate your acid?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links