April 24, 2024, 09:53:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Non-Hydrogen Standard Electrode  (Read 1924 times)

Offline VNangia

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Non-Hydrogen Standard Electrode
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
Hey Guys, first post on these forums!

This is all about standard reduction potentials.

In school, we did a lab where we used Zn (Zn|Zn 2+) as a standard electrode and calculated the standard reduction potentials of several half-reactions.

The reduction potential for Zn 2+ compared to Hydrogen is -0.763 V. So I assumed that if zinc was the new standard, I could add .763V to the potentials compared to hydrogen to get the potentials of half reactions compared to zinc. Is this true or is there some factor I am not understanding.

Furthermore, if this is true, the potentials I am getting are to low. For example, the reaction: Zn | Zn 2+ ||  Ag + | Ag yielded a potential of .650V yet the standard hydrogen predicts 1.562V. We did this reaction several times, getting about .6V every time? Is there an explanation for this?

Last, we used Fe|Fe3+ reaction, or the pre lab stated this was the reaction. The potential for this is -.04V. Could this explain how when reacted with Pb|Pb 2+, the voltage oscillated between positive and negative, indicating electrons moving in more direction, then the other. Also would other reactions of Fe occur, for example Fe 2+ | Fe or Fe 3+ | Fe 2+?

Thank you so much in advanced for all your *delete me* 

Sponsored Links