March 28, 2024, 05:45:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IR Analysis Question  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Violagirl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
IR Analysis Question
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
So had a question on my IR spectrum that I have posted below. I have analyze it for a lab report I am doing on the synthesis of isopentyl acetate. My professor wants us to included the different peaks of all compounds relating to the full reaction. For the OH peak found above 3000 cm, I know that could correlate to the isopentyl alcohol used as a starting reagent. What about acidic acid though, would that be indicative of anything a reagent or do the peaks that occur as a result of the isopentyl acetate reflect anything of that to the acidic acid? Any help is appreciated!

Note: I do know that OH is not found in the final product but do know that OH appears on IR spectrums above 3000 cm and wanted to also know if the OH found on the spectrum reflects the isopentyl alcohol used as a starting reagent. Thanks again!

Offline voidSetup

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: IR Analysis Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
The band at 3464cm-1 could be some leftover isopentyl alcohol or some residual water left over if that is what you used for the workup.  What reagent did you use for the acetylation?  Acetic anhydride?  Is this IR spectrum of a crude product or was it purified?  The band around 1700cm-1 indicates a carbonyl group but that could be your product or the starting material.

Offline Violagirl

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Re: IR Analysis Question
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
I believe it's purifed as we had to wash the organic compound and then applied simple distillation to obtain the end product. Would I list it as an alcohol belonging to the isopentyl alcohol? As for acetic acid, I'm not sure where it would be found on the spectrum.  ???

Sponsored Links