April 29, 2024, 11:16:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: why (Z)-2-butene reacts faster than (E)-2-butene  (Read 7696 times)

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
why (Z)-2-butene reacts faster than (E)-2-butene
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:43:12 PM »
Hi,

I have a quick question about why why (Z)-2-butene reacts faster than (E)-2-butene.  My book says that since (Z)-2-butene is less stable, it has a smaller free energy of activation and should react more rapidly, but in my book, it shows that the more stable carbocation has a smaller free energy of activation, while the less stable carbocation has a greater free energy of activation.  Which is right?  I am using Bruice's book, and the page where it shows less stable carbocations to possess the greater free energy of activation is on pg. 146.  Thanks.

Ryan

Garneck

Re:why (Z)-2-butene reacts faster than (E)-2-butene
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:51:15 PM »
I guess it has something to do with steric effects..  (Z)-2-butene is not energetically preferred, because the two methyl groups are "zusammen" (that's what Z stands for - "together"). It has a smaller energy of activation which means it reacts easier.

The other thing about the stability of carbocation is mixed up and, IMO, incorrect..

Offline rleung

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 02:45:39 PM »
Hmm, so let me get this straight.  A less-stable carbocation (tertiary) has LESS free energy OF ACTIVATION, while a more-stable carbocation (secondary) has greater free energy of activation, right?  Meanwhile, a less-stable carbocation has a GREATER free energy CHANGE  (i.e., /_\G is more positive), while a more-stable carbocation has a LOWER free energy change (i.e., /_\G is less positive).  Am I correct?  Sorry for the caps, but I needed them for my own sake since these are confusing to me, LOL.  Thanks so much.

Ryan

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 03:15:32 PM »
Hold on, both (Z)- and (E)-2-butene would form secondary carbocations right?  The carbocation intermediates would be identical and therefore must have the same energy.  The difference is the starting point.  As Garneck pointed out, the Z isomer has more steric repulsions and is therefore higher in energy.  So, the difference in energy between the Z isomer and the carbocation is smaller than the difference in energy than the E isomer and the carbocation (the carbocation is higher in energy than either of the alkene forms).

Offline rleung

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 03:40:50 PM »
OOHHH!  I see.  I was confused because I thought both the (Z)-2-butene and (E)-2-butene would have the same starting point, but have different peaks since the cis is more unstable than the trans.  

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 04:38:28 PM »
Heh, a common mistake to be sure!

Sponsored Links