April 28, 2024, 09:24:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: T-pentyl Chloride Synthesis - What does water and NaHCO3 extract?  (Read 19141 times)

Offline LouieRowe92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
We made t-pentyl Chloride in Lab today using HCl and t-pentyl alcohol. I know t-pentyl chloride is not soluble in water, but I'm still not sure the answer to some of my post lab questions. I've answered the majority of them, but I have 3 what should be simple questions that still confuse me. We performed a water extraction followed by an extraction with 5% NaHCO3.

1) What impurity or impurities does the water extraction remove?

2) What impurity or impurities does the NaHCO3 extraction remove?

and 3) Why is the water extraction done before the NaHCO3 extraction?

I believe NaHCO3 removes some of the excess HCl, but I'm not confident enough and I'm not sure if that's the only thing it removes. Please *delete me*

Thank you so much for any *delete me*

No one has answered this question yet.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: T-pentyl Chloride Synthesis - What does water and NaHCO3 extract?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:48:23 AM »
We made t-pentyl Chloride in Lab today using HCl and t-pentyl alcohol. I know t-pentyl chloride is not soluble in water, but I'm still not sure the answer to some of my post lab questions. I've answered the majority of them, but I have 3 what should be simple questions that still confuse me. We performed a water extraction followed by an extraction with 5% NaHCO3.

1) What impurity or impurities does the water extraction remove?

2) What impurity or impurities does the NaHCO3 extraction remove?

and 3) Why is the water extraction done before the NaHCO3 extraction?

I believe NaHCO3 removes some of the excess HCl, but I'm not confident enough and I'm not sure if that's the only thing it removes. Please *delete me*

Thank you so much for any *delete me*

No one has answered this question yet.

The water wash should remove most of the HCl, otherwise when you add bicarbonate you will get a tremendous release of gas (CO2). It will also remove any other water soluble impurities.
The bicarbonate wash removes the rest of the HCl.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline LouieRowe92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
So added with your explanation and stuff I'm reading from the book, would I be right in responding to the questions by saying

1) The water extraction aids in the removal of HCl and t-pentyl alcohol.

2) NaHCO3 aid in the removal of the remaining HCl, and 2-methyl-2-butene, (a small byproduct in this reaction according to our lab book).

3) And the water extraction is done first to prevent the alkyl halide from converting back the alcohol as well prevent a giant release of CO2 when the bicarbonate is added

Is this correct or does the NaHCO3 include CO2 as an impurity. Do the two byproducts count as an impurity for water extraction and NaHCO3 respectively as listed above or are they both removed in the NaHCO3 extraction. I assumed 2-methyl-2-butene was with NaHCO3 due to it not being soluble in water, but t-pentyl alcohol is.

Sorry to be such a hassle, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right and understand why its right or wrong.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 06:29:27 AM »
So added with your explanation and stuff I'm reading from the book, would I be right in responding to the questions by saying

1) The water extraction aids in the removal of HCl and t-pentyl alcohol.

2) NaHCO3 aid in the removal of the remaining HCl, and 2-methyl-2-butene, (a small byproduct in this reaction according to our lab book).

3) And the water extraction is done first to prevent the alkyl halide from converting back the alcohol as well prevent a giant release of CO2 when the bicarbonate is added

Is this correct or does the NaHCO3 include CO2 as an impurity. Do the two byproducts count as an impurity for water extraction and NaHCO3 respectively as listed above or are they both removed in the NaHCO3 extraction. I assumed 2-methyl-2-butene was with NaHCO3 due to it not being soluble in water, but t-pentyl alcohol is.

Sorry to be such a hassle, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right and understand why its right or wrong.

answer 1 is OK
2-methyl-2-butene is insoluble in water BPt. 39°C
answer 3 is partially correct the halide will not reconvert
CO2 is a gas and will escape the system
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links