April 28, 2024, 04:42:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: preparation of SnI2 under nitrogen  (Read 11075 times)

loislane

preparation of SnI2 under nitrogen
« on: October 08, 2005, 05:04:37 PM »
Hi everyone.  Would like to ask about SnI2 and SnI4.  We performed a lab on preparations of both these compounds.  I'm jst wondering why SnI2 have to be performed under nitogen conditions and not both SnI2 and SnI4.  Is this to avoid forming SnO when Sn2+ reacts with oxygen.  But then wouldn't Sn4+ reacts with oxygen as well?

HCl is also used as a reagent in the prep of SnI2 while a mixture of glacial acetic acid/acetic anhydride is used in SnI4.  Is the difference due to the fact that one of the tin compounds is more covalent than the other so you're using different reagents or is it just to suck up all the water from SnI4 (hence the use of acetic mixtures).  

Would love to hear from anyone.  Thanks.

Suzette

mcdull1016

Re:preparation of SnI2 under nitrogen
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:54:21 PM »
i want to ask this question too!! haha~~

Also ..  what is the purpose of using a mixture of glacial acetic acid and acetic anhydride as the solvent mixture in preparation of SnI4?

is it something to do with the bonding??

Uzi

Re:preparation of SnI2 under nitrogen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 03:16:55 PM »
An answer for mcdull1016s question: SnI4 undergoes hydrolysis when it contacts water (SnI4 + 2H2O --> SnO2 + 4HI), so you must use a water free environment when creating it. Glacial acetic acid (Glacial meanning water free) is a good media for that porpuse, and the acetic anhydride reacts with any moister to create two molecules of acetic acid (CH3COOCOCH3 + H2O --> 2CH3COOH) so it keeps the reaction media water free.

Hope I helped, bye...

Sponsored Links