April 28, 2024, 07:53:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: string theory!!  (Read 5142 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
string theory!!
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:12 AM »
ok so i understand the general idea of string theory, but my questons are:   just for the record i am talking all theoretically of course

1)  is ALL matter really made of strings, is it strings that are really in the nucleus of the atom, its just they are soooooo much smaller then the nucleus itself? if so are they in the electrons as well? and are there millions of strings inside this nucleus or just one?and does the way the string vibrates determine the element itself?

2)  starting to get into M theory but this still relates to string theory,  i heard that it is possable with enoughf energy for these strings to grow, grow possable even large enoughf to be a universe!  if this is so, why dont any of the strings making up all the matter around us experience this, even if the chance is a billion trillion million.. and so on, there are sooo many of these strings so it is likley that it would happen with one right??? i know that is wrong what what determines weather or not a string will grow, because in our "world" they all stay the same size correct, besides the vibrating of course.

3) and my only other queston is, should i know anything else about string theory that i might be missing in these questons above??? thanks for all help :)

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Re: string theory!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:20 AM »
I can't answer your specific questions with enough certainty however I was watching a video a few days ago that cover the topic quite well. I believe it will answer a few of your questions; TED: Brian Greene on string theory

Add: It should also cover your other thread.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=48775.0
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
Re: string theory!!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »
ok so i understand the general idea of string theory, but my questons are:   just for the record i am talking all theoretically of course

1)  is ALL matter really made of strings, is it strings that are really in the nucleus of the atom, its just they are soooooo much smaller then the nucleus itself? if so are they in the electrons as well? and are there millions of strings inside this nucleus or just one?and does the way the string vibrates determine the element itself?

2)  starting to get into M theory but this still relates to string theory,  i heard that it is possable with enoughf energy for these strings to grow, grow possable even large enoughf to be a universe!  if this is so, why dont any of the strings making up all the matter around us experience this, even if the chance is a billion trillion million.. and so on, there are sooo many of these strings so it is likley that it would happen with one right??? i know that is wrong what what determines weather or not a string will grow, because in our "world" they all stay the same size correct, besides the vibrating of course.

3) and my only other queston is, should i know anything else about string theory that i might be missing in these questons above??? thanks for all help :)

Sorry but string 'theory' is a dead end.

There are two excellent popular books devoted to the topic, that also explain the unfair tactics used by string theorists for their self-promotion:

The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, The Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next

Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Sponsored Links