March 29, 2024, 08:47:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Assigning Oxidation No's: Multiple Remaining Atoms Unassigned  (Read 6924 times)

Offline GreenAssailant

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Assigning Oxidation No's: Multiple Remaining Atoms Unassigned
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
2 Li + 3 Fe(C2H3O2)2 -- > 2 LiC2H3O2 + Fe

Say I want to assign the oxidation states for 3 Fe(C2H3O2)2
First Hydrogen: +1
Then Oxygen: -2

Fe and C are the problem. I am not sure how I know what oxidation no's to assign them. Help?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Assigning Oxidation No's: Multiple Remaining Atoms Unassigned
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
Fe(C2H3O2)2 is produced from C2H4O2 (acetic acid). Can you assign ocidation number for carbon in this compound?
Moreover, you can see LiC2H3O2 on the right side. Lithium show always ON +1. Can you assign ON for carbon in this compound?
AWK

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:56:48 AM »
To add to what AWK wrote: Fe(C2H3O2)2 is the iron acetate. Do you know what is a charge of the acetate ion? If so, what must be the charge on the iron? How is the charge of the cation related to its oxidation number?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline GreenAssailant

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
To add to what AWK wrote: Fe(C2H3O2)2 is the iron acetate. Do you know what is a charge of the acetate ion? If so, what must be the charge on the iron? How is the charge of the cation related to its oxidation number?

I thought charges would only apply if, for instance, it was a polyatomic ion alone.
I am not sure how this would work. Do we split them up into their ion forms and assign the oxidation numbers?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:49:15 AM »
Molecule on the whole is neutral, so if it is made of several ions, their charges must cancel. We know that acids like HCl or HNO3 are monoprotic and they dissociate giving anions with a single negative charge - Cl-, NO3-. That means in a salt like FeCl2 Fe must be +2 - otherwise the molecule would be not neutral. It also means in Cr(NO3)3 Cr must be +3 for the same reason. That allows a quick calculation of oxidation number for the metal. It doesn't tell us anything about oxidation numbers of N nor O in NO3-.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links