April 28, 2024, 09:46:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Subject Chemistry Books (Inorganic, Physical, Analytical) - Non-textbooks  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
I wasn't sure where to put this, it's not exactly general chemistry. If a moderator feels this post is better suited to another forum, please move it there - thanks.

I'm looking for some non-textbook books on specific chemistry subjects.

I already have some great books on Organic chemistry including: Grossman's "The Art of Writing Reasonable Organic Reaction Mechanisms" and Levy's "Arrow Pushing in Organic Chemistry: An Easy Approach to Understanding Reaction Mechanisms".

I'm looking for comparable books for inorganic, physical, and analytical chemistry (and other subjects).
Please note, I am NOT looking for 'cliff-notes' or 'quick review' books. I'm looking for readable, non-textbook books on specific chemistry subjects (not general chemistry or introductory chemistry texts).

I have been considering Vincent's "Molecular Symmetry and Group Theory: A Programmed Introduction to Chemical Applications", but I don't know anything about the book. Is it a good, readable book for inorganic chemistry? Has anyone out there read or at least looked at the book?

Though I'm primarily looking for books, guidance to other educational resources (websites etc) would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

I will post on this thread any other good resources for chemistry subjects beyond introductory (general) chemistry that I find.

Offline Jasim

Also, is anyone familiar with Warren's "Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach"?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Also, is anyone familiar with Warren's "Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach"?

Yes, I was taught from that book in grad school, when it was brand new. Then, it was an excellent systematic approach to synthesis, incorporating a lot of principles and a step-by-step methodology that pulled together and formalized a lot of the retrosynthetic discussions that were occurring at the time. It is still a very useful way of looking at synthesis.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
I have been considering Vincent's "Molecular Symmetry and Group Theory: A Programmed Introduction to Chemical Applications", but I don't know anything about the book. Is it a good, readable book for inorganic chemistry? Has anyone out there read or at least looked at the book?

I learnt group theory from this book back at university. It's very, very good, but I'm not sure I'd call it readable - it has a lot of worked exercises and practice problems. I went through it cover to cover with a pen and paper, doing the problems and writing notes. That process was enjoyable but I don't think you'd get that much enjoyment/understanding from just reading it.

I'm not sure I completely understand what sort of book you're after, but despite being an excellent book for learning, this one in not something I'd keep on my bedside table. This is due to the subject matter though; I can't read a mathematical text without writing some things down otherwise I don't understand it properly.

Perhaps you should check out the Oxford Chemistry Primers series, many cover specific topics and are generally well written - they have been my bedtime reading in the past.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Cotton, Chemical Applications of Group Theory. Bishop, Group Theory and Chemistry.

If you really stick with those books to the end you can learn a lot about MO's, spectroscopy, quantum, etc.

Offline Kate

• Mole Snacks: +8/-3
On the subject of organic chem books, for my class I have to read Vollhardt's "Organic Chemistry". Not sure how it ranks with the rest of the organic textbooks.

From my (very limited) contact with it, it seems like organic chem, taken at undergraduate level at least, is mostly about memorizing stuff, especially reactions, for example: oxidation of a primary alcohol with PCC gives an aldehyde. After knowing the mechanism, most of the times I understand why it happens like that, but I still have to memorize products and reactants.  >:(

--

If you want a book for physical chem, Atkins' "Elements of Physical Chemistry" is quite good btw. It's a textbook, but it's not boring and it's relatively small. I know you don't want textbooks but I don't think you can just venture on physical chem without one, hence my recommendation.

Offline Jasim

I have to completely disagree with the sentiment that organic is a lot of memorization. Sure it has some - nomenclature, functional groups, etc. I think this is a common misconception about organic chemistry.

If you really want to learn organic I highly recommend Levy's book on arrow pushing and the website www.masterorganicchemistry.com

Thanks for the input. I also was recommended the website www.ioniviper.org for inorganic chemistry.

I appreciate the continued input.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
I have to completely disagree with the sentiment that organic is a lot of memorization. Sure it has some - nomenclature, functional groups, etc. I think this is a common misconception about organic chemistry.
Organic chemistry is not all memorization, but it is still taught as such by many instructors.

Some have entire exams of predict the products.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Organic chemistry is not all memorization, but it is still taught as such by many instructors.

Some have entire exams of predict the products.

I don't see how the two phrases are related.

Predicting the reaction products is what a chemistry is about in general. Even if you see it the other way - you try to understand the reaction mechanism that yield known products - it leads to the same final result; known reaction mechanism can be later used to predict what will happen when you mix A and B.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links