April 25, 2024, 11:50:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electroplating...  (Read 11376 times)

WaxHaX0rS

Electroplating...
« on: May 27, 2004, 06:03:20 PM »
Hey, I'm just a young student, but I like chemistry.  (just telling you so you have an idea of where this is coming from).  I read about electroplating a while ago and I thought it would be a cool thing to try.  My ultimate goal would be to copper-plate an entire trumpet (I play trumpet, duh), but I don't want to get ahead of myself here.  First of all, I would like to know what would be involved.  If I were to do this, I would want to try plating a small piece of raw brass first.  What kind of materials would I need?  I read a little experiment and it seemed like it would be fairly simple, but it wasn't extremely specific and it wasn't using brass.  It also used a vinegar-copper solution, which required electricity because vinegar is too weak to dissolve copper itself.  Anyway, I'm wondering how some of you chemistry gurus would go about this.  Thanks.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Electroplating...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 09:25:07 AM »
;)
We don't deserve to be called chemistry gurus. Helping out at this forum is definitely a service to the online community.

Acid won't react with Cu normally. Examining the Reactivity Series, you would find Cu is ranked below Hydrogen. Perhaps u can purchase aq copper (II) solutions off Ebay instead of trying to dissolve Cu in acid. Unless you use a strong acid such as aqua regia (which oxidies Cu, thus dissolving it). Aqua regia is a control chemical. I strongly discourage you from accessing aqua regia. It is a a hazardous chemical.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 09:36:56 AM »
You don't need aqua regia to dissolve copper metal.  Nitric acid by itself will do a fine job, though the toxic fumes emitted aren't too good to ingest.   ;)
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 08:17:42 PM »
If you're after copper ions, why not just go buy a big bag of azelia fertilizer?  It's just copper sulfate.  You can usually buy it as 'sulfate of copper' or some such thing.  It's about 99% pure, and if you want really pure stuff (like I'm guessing you would for electroplating), just dissolve it in water and filter it through a cotton T-shirt to remove the 1% clay that is in it.  I've used the stuff before and it works really well.

WaxHaX0rS

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 10:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the excellent replies so far, but there's more.  How should I go about doing this?  What procedure should I use?  Remember, the surface to be covered is brass, so take that into consideration.
Thanks

WaxHaX0rS

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 10:11:26 PM »
By the way, where could I get that copper sulfate stuff?  I have limited resources; I'm pretty much limited to say.. the local hardware store.

budullewraagh

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 11:40:52 AM »
sorry to use this thread for my own benefit, but i do have a question relating to this.

i would like to silver plate metallic objects.  first, how would i dissolve silver?  i know that silver chlorate is moderately soluble in H2O, silver fluoride, nitrate and especially perchlorate are very soluble in H2O.  of course, the nitrate and fluoride would be difficult to produce, and the perchlorate would probably end up killing me considering i'd have to produce Cl2 AND burn it, plus a great deal of it wouldn't oxidize to +7.  of course, another way is to dissolve Ag(s) in a conc acid.  i have some really conc HCl (it's been sitting in the basement for 25 years and the H2O seemed to have left considering when i open the container HCl(g) is released).  would that dissolve the Ag(s)?  would that even be practical considering i will have to place oter metals in the solution and thus would be dissolving the wires required for electroplating as well as the object i wish to plate?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 05:29:17 AM »
Silver nitrate?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

budullewraagh

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 11:59:42 AM »
what about?

Sponsored Links