April 26, 2024, 05:38:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Colleges  (Read 15220 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Chemistry Colleges
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:11:56 PM »
I have no clue where to post this, but I'm wondering what are some of the biggest colleges for chemistry.
If you want a specific field how about Pharmacology.

College is still 2 years out for me but I was thinking about studing Pharmacology, mainly research, or being a chemistry teacher. A third possibility is studying Psychology, namely human behavior and mood.

Suggestions would be great. :)

Or a link to a previous thread because a search on Colleges pulled up to much on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:15:23 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:Chemistry Colleges
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 09:50:20 PM »
If you're in the US, I'd suggest going to a smaller school for undergrad where they will take care of you.  If you go to a big school like Berkeley, Ohio State, or any of the big 10 really, you'll be screwed out of a decent education because you're just a number.  I speak from experience.  For grad school the big schools are much better because they're focused on research and graduate students, so you'll get what you need.  But for undergrad, I'd stay away from the big schools.  Also, choose a school in a place you like.  Location is really a huge factor.  You have to know yourself for this--if you don't like big cities, stay away from schools there no matter what their education offers.  If you don't like tiny towns, stay away from them.  if you hate the east coast, don't go there.  It's more important than you would think.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 11:18:33 PM »
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the school I currently go to, has a chemistry department which is in the top ten in the nation.  I don't really think going to a large school is too much of a problem.  Sure, the school won't baby you and hold your hand throughout college, but as long as you put out the effort to search for help and look for opportunities to get involved in different programs, you'll be fine.  Large public universities also have an advantage over smaller colleges because they offer more opportunities for undergraduates to get involved in research.  Plus, the cost of going to a public school is a lot better than the cost of going to a small private school, although out-of-state fees are pretty steep in the UC system.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:23:51 PM »
Wow, sounds like you guys have quite a choice when it comes to university (is this the same as college) over there in the US. Here in Australia we don't have quite so many Universities (not as many people either, only about 20million, what is the population of the US?). The choice is pretty easy here then, I just went to the University in my city, there are about 2million people in my city and 3 universities, they all offer chemistry.

So if you're interested you should all come and study in Australia, wouldn't that be great?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:29:08 AM »
Australia is roughly the same size a continental USA and has the population size of about the state of New York. The USA census is just short of 300 million which is probably an under count. At one point I was thinking of moving to Australia until I found out that the laws there are more restrictive than USA in some ways and they drive on the wrong side of the road.

I know this is off topic but interesting none the less.
Also should not this be in the Education room.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:48:23 AM »
300 milion people! wow that is big!

Well I don't think our laws would be more restrictive than the US, if anything I think it would be the other way around.

Oh, and we drive on the left side of the road (we think this is the correct side of the road you know ;)) but our cars are right-hand drive.

This may be off topic, but it is interesting, and useful for the education of chemists around the world.

Garneck

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »
You want to be a teacher??  :o

Man, I'm on a 6-week teaching practice in high school (I need to do it so I get my credit points) and I f*****g hate it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
Man, I'm on a 6-week teaching practice in high school (I need to do it so I get my credit points) and I f*****g hate it.

Is it still necesarry? Sh*.*... To say the truth that was one of the reasons I did not graduated. Not that I don't like teaching - 1k posts here is not from nothing, I like to help and to explain things to others. But I hate stupidity in every form (especially crystalic) and "Chemical education" was - for personal reasons - out of my reach. My laziness was not helpfull either but I was able to mobilize myself for every other lab and for every exam. Not for this one :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Garneck

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »
Is it still necesarry? Sh*.*... To say the truth that was one of the reasons I did not graduated. Not that I don't like teaching - 1k posts here is not from nothing, I like to help and to explain things to others. But I hate stupidity in every form (especially crystalic) and "Chemical education" was - for personal reasons - out of my reach. My laziness was not helpfull either but I was able to mobilize myself for every other lab and for every exam. Not for this one :(

Borek, so I presume you encountered a person named dr Galska-Krajewska. You might want to know, that she is still there and teaching methods straight from the 70's.

It's necesarry, because we have to get credits. And people take these classes, because they guarantee the points to graduate. People who don't do it, have problems with running all around Warsaw looking for mysteriously named classes at riddiculous hours, that might just give you the credits you need (or not.. the mess in our department should be the 8th wonder of the world)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »
Borek, so I presume you encountered a person named dr Galska-Krajewska. You might want to know, that she is still there and teaching methods straight from the 70's.

No names please. But she was there, even if I am not connecting face with the name at the moment.

People who don't do it, have problems with running all around Warsaw looking for mysteriously named classes at riddiculous hours, that might just give you the credits you need (or not.. the mess in our department should be the 8th wonder of the world)

Junior is studying physics, so I have similar reports at home. Although it seems his problems lie not within Physics Faculty itself but somewhere in the interface between faculties.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 08:39:56 PM »
Wow cool I'm getting so many responses. I'm looking for a Master's degree MAYBE and a big maybe a Doctorate degree in my chosen field. I live in New Hampshire, USA. I don't mind going anywhere that speaks English.

Does anyone know anything about schools Vancouver? I love snowboarding and I supposedly can be grandfathered in as a Canadien if I wanted to. Not that I want to give up my American citizenship. My mom is from Canada.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 08:42:06 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 08:48:50 AM »
Maybe New Zealand is the place to be I hear they drive on the right side of the road. Do they have laws that discourage chemistry by the individual? I wonder if they have colleges with good science departments (chemistry).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:54:39 AM by billnotgatez »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 06:43:49 PM »
I am fairly sure the drive on the left side of the road in New Zealand. New Zealand is very similar to Australia :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 07:03:01 PM »
I am fairly sure the drive on the left side of the road in New Zealand. New Zealand is very similar to Australia :)

I would say it is completely different. They have kiwis instead of kangaroos and they don't have a desert in the interrior. Not to mention lack af great barrier reef. And they don't have a problem whether they live on the smallest continent or the largest island.

The only thing you have in coomon is that you are walking upside down  :P

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »
The only thing you have in coomon is that you are walking upside down  :P

haha yes very funny :)

You are right the two countries are different physically, however you would probably find the lifestyle, laws, driving, people, culture etc very similar.

Everyone should visit Australia (and New Zealand).

By the way I had a Koala in the tree right outside my office yesterday, true!

Sponsored Links