March 28, 2024, 10:14:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How melting point of sodium chloride is decreased by Down cell?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline zeeshanef

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How melting point of sodium chloride is decreased by Down cell?
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
How melting point of sodium chloride is decreased when calcium chloride is added during preparation of sodium by [Down] cell?

Offline maivu

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Re: How melting point of sodium chloride is decreased by Down cell?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:50:57 PM »
Anode: (positive carbon electrode)
2Cl-(l) → Cl2(g) + 2e
Cathode: (negative iron electrode)
Na+(l) + e → Na(l)

Overall REDOX Reaction:
2Cl-(l) + 2Na+(l) → Cl2(g) + 2Na(l)

The following is my suggestion. You should check it with your professor since I'm not an expert in Electrolysis.

You can think of how the Le Chatelier's principle is applied in here. When more Cl- ions are added into the molten NaCl, the equilibrium is shifted to the right, forming more Na and Cl2. The entropy of this reaction is positive since the system becomes more random. The system during this reaction will absorbs heat and deceases the temperature of molten.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How melting point of sodium chloride is decreased by Down cell?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »
You can think of how the Le Chatelier's principle is applied in here. When more Cl- ions are added into the molten NaCl, the equilibrium is shifted to the right, forming more Na and Cl2. The entropy of this reaction is positive since the system becomes more random. The system during this reaction will absorbs heat and deceases the temperature of molten.

Please don't answer questions when you have no idea what you are writing about. This word salad is not helpful.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links