April 27, 2024, 05:31:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Know wheter INSOLUBLE preciptate will form or not?  (Read 3740 times)

Offline wizrak

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Know wheter INSOLUBLE preciptate will form or not?
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:54:11 AM »
Hi, I have been continually trying to solve a question:

There are 5 unlabelled bottles in a labortory. Each are 0.1mol L^-1 in solutions

Barium nitrate, hydrocholric acid, sodium carbonate, sodium hydroxide, copper nitrate

By inspection and then by mixing combinations of the solutions it is possible to determine the solution in each bottle

Outline how this could be done in a small number of steps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that copper nitrate solution would be pale blue, and colourless gas evolved with sodium carbonate.
However, I do not understand which combination of these solutions will give insoluble precipitates e.g. barium carbonate (insoluble white ppt)
Thus I want to ask wheter there is a special trend for solubilities of precipitates e.g. Group 1 precipitates tend to be very soluble in water or going down the group causes it to be less soluble as enthalpy change of solution becomes more endothermic.
*especially which anion containing salts are more soluble e.g. sulfides are not very soluble

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Know wheter INSOLUBLE preciptate will form or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:44:45 AM »
Google solubility rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline maivu

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:16:46 AM »
Hi, I have been continually trying to solve a question:

There are 5 unlabelled bottles in a labortory. Each are 0.1mol L^-1 in solutions

Barium nitrate, hydrocholric acid, sodium carbonate, sodium hydroxide, copper nitrate

By inspection and then by mixing combinations of the solutions it is possible to determine the solution in each bottle

Outline how this could be done in a small number of steps.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that copper nitrate solution would be pale blue, and colourless gas evolved with sodium carbonate.
However, I do not understand which combination of these solutions will give insoluble precipitates e.g. barium carbonate (insoluble white ppt)
Thus I want to ask wheter there is a special trend for solubilities of precipitates e.g. Group 1 precipitates tend to be very soluble in water or going down the group causes it to be less soluble as enthalpy change of solution becomes more endothermic.
*especially which anion containing salts are more soluble e.g. sulfides are not very soluble

which combination of these solutions will give insoluble precipitates e.g. barium carbonate

Barium carbonate, copper hydroxide, barium sulfate are precipitates (ppt.).

To solve this question, you should draw a table an to record reaction between each one of the solution.

Cu(NO3)2 is pale blue solution.
BaNO3: only white ppt. BaSO4 and BaCO3
H2SO4: white ppt of BaSO4 and CO2 gas.
Na2CO3: white ppt of BaCO3; gas; blue ppt of Cu(OH)2.
NaOH: only form blue ppt.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
This is an old thread, so in this particular case it doesn't matter much - but you are on the verge of solving the question for someone. That's against forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links