Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

Key practical competencies

<< < (2/6) > >>

mike:

--- Quote from: Dude on October 11, 2005, 11:49:14 AM ---4.  Understand that there is no more cornucopian "They".  They won't cure cancer, they won't develop cars that run on air and they won't enhance space exploration.  It is now your job.  

--- End quote ---

I like this! Ok if I use it? :)

mike:
Do you think that skills such as algebra calculations (for dilutions etc), spreadsheet skills, graphing, report writing, keeping a lab journal and "concenptual" scientific thinking should be taught as specific topics, or do you think it is more efficient to pick these things up as you go?

Many of the short comings of our graduates appear to be in areas where the knowledge is expected to by learnt via "osmosis" ie they will just absorb the knowledge by being in the lab/room.

Another problem (I don't know if it the same where you guys are from) is that students are treated more as clients/customers and the university is providing them with a service (much more of a business). Students are busy and competitive (not a bad thing) but all they want is their certificate, most of them aren't interested in thinking they just want things served to them on a plate.

billnotgatez:
Who is paying the tuition, the school or the student?

Borek:

--- Quote from: mike on October 11, 2005, 07:11:30 PM ---Students [...] most of them aren't interested in thinking they just want things served to them on a plate.

--- End quote ---

Thinking hurts.

mike:

--- Quote from: billnotgatez on October 12, 2005, 02:17:51 AM ---Who is paying the tuition, the school or the student?

--- End quote ---

Students here pay on a deferred plan. Students can attend university and complete their degree without paying. Once they are earning money they must repay the government (it is a subsidised rate though so the government foots a lot of the cost). The rate that the money is paid back is assessed on income, the more you earn the quicker you have to pay it back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version