April 19, 2024, 07:59:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boiling Point Depression  (Read 7366 times)

Offline mistertaylor92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Boiling Point Depression
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »
In an organic chemistry lab in which t-butyl chloride was synthesized, a boiling point characterization test was used to confirm its formation. The boiling point measured was 10 degrees lower than its accepted value. Nowhere on the internet can I find an explanation for boiling point depression, but I need to explain this phenomenon. Thank you in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:39:08 PM by mistertaylor92 »

Offline kalos

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Boiling Point Depression
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
At what height above the sea level is the laboratory located?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:45:50 AM »
In an organic chemistry lab in which t-butyl chloride was synthesized, a boiling point characterization test was used to confirm its formation. The boiling point measured was 10 degrees lower than its accepted value. Nowhere on the internet can I find an explanation for boiling point depression, but I need to explain this phenomenon. Thank you in advance!  :)

Elevation of Bpt. depression of Mpt. (at sea level)
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline mistertaylor92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:39:22 AM »
The lab is 190 m above sea level. You guys are telling me this is the reason!? Far beyond what I would expect lol.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:23:52 AM »
The lab is 190 m above sea level. You guys are telling me this is the reason!? Far beyond what I would expect lol.

How did you prepare it? Perhaps the conversion was not complete and you distilled an azeotrope with the starting material?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
In an organic chemistry lab in which t-butyl chloride was synthesized, a boiling point characterization test was used to confirm its formation. The boiling point measured was 10 degrees lower than its accepted value. Nowhere on the internet can I find an explanation for boiling point depression, but I need to explain this phenomenon…

This has the sound like a poster's lab result. The language is written so we don't know who did the distilling, "A boiling point characterization test was used to confirm…" If the poster said my temperature was low, then I will add the thermometer positioning can reduce the observed temperature from the literature value (my first choice). We could add that the thermometer was not calibrated, but I would doubt even an uncalibrated thermometer would be that far off, but it could be a degree or two.

Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links