April 26, 2024, 07:55:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the observed rotation of 100 mL of a solution? Details inside! Halp :(  (Read 13929 times)

Offline Lish

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A 0.110 M solution of an enantiomerically pure chiral compound D has an observed rotation of 0.16° in a 1-dm sample container. The molar mass of the compound is 161.0 g/mol.

What is the observed rotation of 100 mL of a solution that contains 0.01 mole of D and 0.005 mole of L? (Assume a 1-dm path length.)

So far, I've tried .054 degrees. I calculated the enantiomer excess of the mixture by the following method:

.01 moles of D  to .005 moles of L ~ so, .01+.005 = .015 total; using this total value, divide the portions of D and L.

so .01/.015 to .005/.015 ~ 67% D to 33% L.

And thus, the enantiomer excess will be 34%.

I calculated the specific rotation in another part of this question to be 9 degrees. The concentration is .01771 g/mL. The length is just 1 dm.

SO

a=[a]*c*l

a=9*.01771

now, since 34% is optically active and due to the portions, pure D - it would be .01771 (concentration) * 34% (I did write it as .34)

yet, I get the wrong answer apparently. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I am not sure why do you calculate these percentages. Either calculate separately rotation of the D and L present and add angles (just watch the sign), or assume equimolar part of the solution is inactive, so only excess of D will rotate the light - and excess is just CD-CL.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Lish

Is there anything wrong in using the percentages? Not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Perhaps it is not wrong (although rounding 1/3 to 34% is wrong and done way too early), just IMHO unusual.

PLease elaborate on what you don't understand.

Also - you are given all concentrations as molar, you can safely ignore molar mass of the compound and there is no need to express concentration in g/mL. Just use ratio of concentrations to find the rotation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Lish

I am asking this question because when I entered in the answer I arrived at - the program stated that it was incorrect. Usually, if there is a small difference in the answer, like for instance: I enter .0898 and the answer is .09(computer's answer) or I enter .087 - it's usually accepted.

From what I understand - there is 34% optically active molecules (and they are D). I have the specific rotation, which is 9 degrees. I have the concentration, which is .01771 g/mL. So it's asking me what the observed rotation is in a .01 moles of D and the .005 moles of L mix.

I'm stuck basically. How would you guys do this problem? What other way is there to go about thinking of the moles ratio?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
I already explained to you how I would approach the problem. If you don't understand what I wrote ask specific questions, otherwise all I can do is to repeat word for word what I posted earlier.

Offline Lish

I couldn't figure it out. Apparently though the answer was to subtract .005 moles from .01 moles. I understand the logic behind it - that the .005 moles of L cancel the .005 moles of D, and .005 moles are left over. Then convert that to concentration and so on.

I just thought that I had to convert the mole ratio to a percentage, find the excess, then multiply the excess by the original concentration. Not sure if that is what you were suggesting or not.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
I couldn't figure it out. Apparently though the answer was to subtract .005 moles from .01 moles. I understand the logic behind it - that the .005 moles of L cancel the .005 moles of D, and .005 moles are left over.

That's what I suggested - assuming CD and CL are concentrations of both forms, calculating the difference CD-CL is equivalent to subtracting number of moles of L from number of moles of D in a given volume.

Note that my other proposition is equivalent. I told you to calculate rotation of the solution assuming it contain only D (concentration given) and only L (concentration given), then to find overall rotation subtracting obtained values - which yields exactly the same result.

Then convert that to concentration and so on.

Molarity - mol per liter - IS a concentration. You don't have to convert it to anything, especially if the information in the question is given as angle per molarity (0.16° for 0.110M solution or 0.16°/0.110M=1.45°/M - you can use this value to calculate rotation for any given molar concentration; note that 1g/mL which is a concentration unit used when reporting specific rotation is directly proportional to molarity, which makes the exchangeable in all related equations, you just need some proportionality coefficient).

I just thought that I had to convert the mole ratio to a percentage, find the excess, then multiply the excess by the original concentration. Not sure if that is what you were suggesting or not.

It probably can be done through percentages, but I strongly advice against - as they are irrelevant to the problem. You can drive from New York to Washington through Los Angeles, but thera are much better way of getting from one city to another.

Sponsored Links