April 29, 2024, 12:52:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: About Solvent selection for Bingel Reaction  (Read 3012 times)

Offline ntusg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
About Solvent selection for Bingel Reaction
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Hi, I am new to here, and I am having an inquiry about my recent experiment.

I am actually trying to repeat the Bingel Reaction [2+1] on C60. The chemicals I have are diethyl bromomalonate and 1,8-diazabicyclo[5,4,0] undecene (DBU). The solvent I have are THF and Dichlorobenzene.

Could someone help to advice on what are the differences between THF and Dichlorobenzene, as a solvent in this reaction?

Thanks a lot ... :)

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: About Solvent selection for Bingel Reaction
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
If you're trying to repeat the reaction, I'd recommend following the procedure as outlined in the (original) paper which you're trying to copy as closely as your resources will allow you. If you're still burning with curiosity, get scientific on it: try a couple of solvents and solvent mixtures and see how yield varies. Look up the mechanism and try to rationalize your results in terms of solubility of reactive species and stabilization of transition states. I mean, how long does it take to run one of these in the first place?
Individual results may vary

Offline ntusg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: About Solvent selection for Bingel Reaction
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »
If you're trying to repeat the reaction, I'd recommend following the procedure as outlined in the (original) paper which you're trying to copy as closely as your resources will allow you. If you're still burning with curiosity, get scientific on it: try a couple of solvents and solvent mixtures and see how yield varies. Look up the mechanism and try to rationalize your results in terms of solubility of reactive species and stabilization of transition states. I mean, how long does it take to run one of these in the first place?

Hi Honclbrif,

Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

I am new to chemistry, and to my knowledge, I couldn't see the difference between these solvents. But I think you are right. I should try to get the original solvent in the original paper instead of spending time on other solvents.

Thank you again for your reply  :)

Sponsored Links