April 28, 2024, 04:43:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A Little Confusion With Chirality  (Read 2420 times)

Offline cthompso

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A Little Confusion With Chirality
« on: November 08, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
I'm studying for my orgo exam and I feel pretty confident about chiral centers, but still have a few points of confusion, so if anyone could help clear them up it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is the molecule 4-bromo-4-chlorocyclopentene chiral? It doesn't seem to have a plane of symmetry, but potential chiral carbon is attached to: Br, Cl, and 2 equivalent CH2CH atoms. So is it achiral?

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: A Little Confusion With Chirality
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
When assessing chirality of a site in a ring, my preferred method is to go around the ring clockwise (what functionality do you encounter in what order?), then go around the ring counterclockwise. If the clockwise circuit is the same as the counterclockwise circuit, you can count them as being the same and the site is achiral.

So for 4-bromo-4-chlorocyclopentene, starting from the halogenated carbon we get
Clockwise:  CH2-CH=CH-CH2
Counterclockwise: CH2-CH=CH-CH2

What would happen if it was 4-bromo-4-chloro-1-methylcyclopentene?
Individual results may vary

Offline cthompso

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
Sooo if it contained the methyl group than it would be chiral, but without it it's achiral, right?

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
Since without the methyl, both trips around the ring are the same, you can basically consider each trip to be and "identical substituent". With the methyl group there the two trips are different and can be considered "different substituents". After that the chloride and the bromide each count as different substituents.
Individual results may vary

Sponsored Links