April 19, 2024, 08:52:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction Rate between 2-Butanol and Potassium Permanganate  (Read 11365 times)

vcd

Reaction Rate between 2-Butanol and Potassium Permanganate
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »
Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum and I would really appreciate your help on this problem.
Currently, I am researching the effect of changes in concentration of the reactants on the rate of reaction between acidified potassium permanganate and 2-butanol, using a colourimeter to measure the rate of reaction.

The concentrations we used to vary are:
Potassium Permanganate : 0.01M - 0.08M
Sulfuric Acid : 0.1M - 1M
2-Butanol: 0.4M - 2M

We are aware that these two reactions are possible:

Butanol -> Oxidation -> butanone
CH3CHOHCH2CH3 -->(MnO4-/H+) --> CH3COCH2CH3

Esterification (Sulphuric Acid + 2-Butanol --> Ester + Water)
CH3CHOHCH2CH3 + H2SO4 --> CH(CH3)(CH2CH3)OSO3H + H2O

However, the mechanisms of these reactions are needed to interpret the trends of the graphs of their reaction rates.

We graphed our results and it was noticed that when varying the concentration of acid, a low concentration produced a high reaction rate, a medium concentration produced a low reaction rate, and a high concentration produced an even higher reaction rate.

Do u have any idea why this phenomenon occurs ? obviously knowing the reaction mechanism will effect the result. Does anyone know the reaction mechanisms for these two reactions and if there are any other reactions possible?

vcd

Re:Reaction Rate between 2-Butanol and Potassium Permanganate
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
We forgot to mention this, so:

We added added the Sulphuric acid to 2-Butanol first, then added in the Potassium permanganate. Does that the Sulphuric acid to 2-Butanol would have formed an ester, then would the added potassium permanganate would react with the ester, and 2-butanol?

Sponsored Links