April 29, 2024, 10:32:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chemistry Lab Help: Theoretical Yield  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Darkrune

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Chemistry Lab Help: Theoretical Yield
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:21:00 AM »
Usually able to easily figure this out, but I do not think my numbers are coming out right, so want to see what I am doing wrong. These numbers are from a lab I did.

The reaction is Bromine-Catalyzed Isomerization of Maleic Acid to Fumaric Acid.

Started by putting 1.16 g of Maleic acid into a flask with 5-6 mL water. Then I added a couple drops of 1% aqueous bromine. In the end I had .068 grams of Fumaric Acid. Need to figure out the theoretical yield and limiting reagent based on this information.

I believe that Maleic Acid is the limiting reagent as 1.16g is only .00999 moles or so, but I am not sure. Would the theoretical yield be 1.16 grams since it seems to be a 1:1 ratio and Maleic and Fumaric acids both have the same mass.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:32:46 AM by Darkrune »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Organic Chemistry Lab Help: Theoretical Yield
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:56:19 AM »
Usually able to easily figure this out, but I do not think my numbers are coming out right, so want to see what I am doing wrong. These numbers are from a lab I did.

The reaction is Bromine-Catalyzed Isomerization of Maleic Acid to Fumaric Acid.

Started by putting 1.16 g of Maleic acid into a flask with 5-6 mL water. Then I added a couple drops of 1% aqueous bromine. In the end I had .068 grams of Fumaric Acid. Need to figure out the theoretical yield and limiting reagent based on this information.

I believe that Maleic Acid is the limiting reagent as 1.16g is only .00999 moles or so, but I am not sure. Would the theoretical yield be 1.16 grams since it seems to be a 1:1 ratio and Maleic and Fumaric acids both have the same mass.

Not sure what you mean by a 1:1 ratio!
You should use moles when calculating yields, although in this case you are producing an isomer with the same mass as the SM, so grams can be used, only is these cases!
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Darkrune

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
I did convert to moles, but just did not mention it when typing that out. By 1:1 ration I was assuming that 1 mole of Maleic Acid produced 1 Mole of Fumaric Acid. The equation listed in my lab guide is Br + Melaic Acid = Fumaric Acid + Br. So if I have .00999 moles of Maleic Acid at start would I get .00999 moles of Fumaric Acid in the product?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:45:02 AM »
I did convert to moles, but just did not mention it when typing that out. By 1:1 ration I was assuming that 1 mole of Maleic Acid produced 1 Mole of Fumaric Acid. The equation listed in my lab guide is Br + Melaic Acid = Fumaric Acid + Br. So if I have .00999 moles of Maleic Acid at start would I get .00999 moles of Fumaric Acid in the product?

If the yield is 100%
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline linh_ngt

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:43:30 AM »

If the yield is 100%

Agree with you
43 <3 <3

Sponsored Links