April 28, 2024, 08:42:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tips for Predicting Reactions  (Read 3288 times)

DevilArtGirl

Tips for Predicting Reactions
« on: October 14, 2005, 02:13:45 AM »
Alright, I know there are the simple tips for predicting reactions, such as decomposition, synthesis, and replacement, but my teacher's going all out this year.

First off, in laymans terms, what are ligands?

Second off, there are many words I keep seeing over and over again. Words such as:
"bubbled through..."
added to:
"acidified/basic solution..."
"excess (not oxygen)..."
"dilute...acid..."
"Solutions..."
Is there any way to be able to tell what will form?

**Also, I'm having a big trouble with things added to "dilute" substances. I'm not exactly sure what dilute implies when it's written in the reaction, "A segment of copper wire is added to dilute nitric acid." Cu + HNO3 --> Cu+2 + NO + HOH.

~Thanks

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Tips for Predicting Reactions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:38:43 AM »
First off, in laymans terms, what are ligands?
In laymans terms a ligand is a molecule that is attached to a metal centre. A simple example could be water, H2O, attached to a metal cation.

Second off, there are many words I keep seeing over and over again. Words such as:
"bubbled through..."
Usually involves an apparatus by which you can push a gas through a solution. FOr example you may bubble CO2 gas through a solution of limewater and precipitate calcium carbonate

added to:
"acidified/basic solution..."
Acidified solutions contain H+ ions and would have PH less than 7. Basic solutions would have OH- ions and have pH above 7

"excess (not oxygen)..."
excess usually refers to a reactant in a reaction. You could put excess of one reagent so that you can completely react another reagent. Usually the cheaper reagent is in excess. Not all reactions can have excess of reactants. An excess of a reagent can also be used to increase the rate of a reaction in some cases.

"dilute...acid..."
A dilute acid is one in which the concentration of the acid is quite low. Note that there is a difference between a strong or weak acid and a dilute or concentrated acid. ie you can have a dilute solution of a strong acid such as HCl. Dilute can also mean to make less concentrated, for example to dilute some acid, you would add an amount of acid at one concentration to some water to attain a solution of lower concentration (note don't add water to acid)

"Solutions..."
A solution is a liquid. Or a liquid containing a compound. FOr example a solution of copper sulphate can be made by dissolving copper sulphate crystals in water.

Is there any way to be able to tell what will form?
This depends on the particular reaction.

**Also, I'm having a big trouble with things added to "dilute" substances. I'm not exactly sure what dilute implies when it's written in the reaction, "A segment of copper wire is added to dilute nitric acid." Cu + HNO3 --> Cu+2 + NO + HOH.
See above. Generally a dilute solution of acid is one that is less concentrated in H+ ions than the original bottle from your supplier. Concentrated nitric acid would be quite dangerous to work with and not really required for the reaction so you use a "watered-down" version of the acid to provide the H+.

Hope this helps
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links